potassium permanganate

rthmjohn

Where can I buy potassium permanganate without a chemist's licence? I know it won't be in a very high concentration, so is there a way to purify it? I heard it can be found in the plumbing section of some stores. What brand is best? Is it possible to prepare KMnO4 at home?

Ya, thats where i buy my KMnO4. Ive never heard of it being sold on pyro sites, partly becasue its is to unstable and reactive for use in pyrotechnics. However, this is what got me into pyrotechnics, and now ive moved on considerably to serious pyrotechnics.

Just curious, but why do you need KMnO4?

KMnO4 + Glycerine is a neat little reaction. Takes a little while to get going, but then it REALLY gets going. Kind of like mixing aluminum powder and iodine crystals, then putting some water on it. (Though I'm kind of fond of taking iodine crystals and putting them in a little 'bowl' made of aluminum foil, then using a cigarette lighter to heat up the bottom of the bowl. In a short bit of time, you see this really huge dark puple cloud of iodine rise up and the aluminum is just destroyed.)

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread, for good reason.

Sears has it. It's in the water filtration system section (near the laundry detergent and paint). Six lbs of pure potassium permanganate for $50. My friend and I split it, three lbs each.

I found it amusing that when ringing it up at the register it actually comes up as "potassium permanganate", not some brand name like with most other OTC chems.

latent, what exactly is the KMnO4 sold as?

just a note about buying things online:

my associates have informed me that http://www.kno3.com is actually run out of arizona (not britain) and is actually a gov antimeth site.

that would explain the recent change in their website format, the rp, especially at its price, the dmso, hexamine, iodine, etc.

things like that scare me. unitednuclear carries dmso, hexamine and formerly carried iodine.

al-chymist has some pretty sketchy things too.

shop carefully

my associates have informed me that http://www.kno3.com is actually run out of arizona (not britain) and is actually a gov antimeth site.

I also heard this story from a Dutch guy, but I can hardly believe it. I actually ordered some chems from this site (once in Oct. 2004 and a few weeks ago). Both times, the parcel I received really was from the UK, with Great Britain stamps and postmarks.

I indeed think that kno3.com is not the most 'legal' company, but the story that it is an Arizona-based anti-meth agency simply seems false to me. I think that the original story is from a member of the scimad forums, who had a really bad dream :D.

I also heard this story from a Dutch guy' date=' but I can hardly believe it. I actually ordered some chems from this site (once in Oct. 2004 and a few weeks ago). Both times, the parcel I received really was from the UK, with Great Britain stamps and postmarks.

I indeed think that kno3.com is not the most 'legal' company, but the story that it is an Arizona-based anti-meth agency simply seems false to me. I think that the original story is from a member of the scimad forums, who had a really bad dream :D.[/quote']

That site is kinda scary.

As legit as it may seem, just looking at the main page gives me the willies. I mean, phosphorus and iodine on the first page...oh yeah, add chloroform to that list of 'things on the main page'. Certainly looks like a trap to me.

KMnO4 is a watched chemical too, because it's used to produce a schedule I ketone.

My thing is only order things online if you have to. The gov't is very nosy about chems.

KMnO4 for what?

dihydrocodeinone? oxycodone?

precursors are hard to obtain

methadone?

have fun making your phenylmagnesium grignard AND getting it to react

KMnO4 is one of a great number of materials that can do that oxidation, and those drugs arent very common, so the gov doesn't really care. or at least it doesn't do much about KMnO4. not that it is effective in stopping drug trade in the first place.

but yeah, the RP definitely makes the place look sketchy. and of course the chloroform, iodine, hexamine, dmso, etc dont help its image.

I was referring to a certain phenylethylamine that is made most commonly with KMnO4 by stimulant addicts who can't get their meth. I know the gov't doesn't care TOO much about KMnO4, but if you were to buy it on the same day as a certain over the counter secondary alcohol with a credit card, it might set off a twinge of suspicion.

it's pretty scary actually. not very useful in general, as KMnO4 and HMnO4 are just as effective as oxidizers.

permanganic anhydride needs to be used as soon as it is made. it's very, very sensitive and readily decomposes yielding ozone and manganese dioxide. it has been known to explode with very little provocation.

i suggest you just use the acid. be careful containing it