My mouse wont work in XP Pro

Edward

My mouse wont work in XP Pro. I just installed win XP on a PIII computer and the mouse doese't work the computer has Win 98 SE installed and it works fine with that but in xp I get no response the system acts like there is no mouse plugged in.

It might help if you told us the make and model of the mouse, as well as if it connects to your computer via a USB or PS/2 port. Without this information it will be very difficult for anyone here to help you.

no idea! but to temporaraly alieviate the problem of having no mouse, simultaniously press left alt, left shift and num lock to be able to control your cursor with the numpad (numlock must be on).

if this doesnt work, navigate to control pannel > accesability options, then use the tab key to highlight the tabs at the top and press righy untill the mouse tab is open, and use atl + M to turn mousekeys on so that you can move with the numpad.

I explained that the mice do function' date=' on the same machine.

Well the mouse works now but its 50/50 sometimes I boot and it works sometimes it doesen't.[/quote']

So if other mice work but this only sometimes does it seems to be a problem with this mouse.

Now the fact others work rules out there being a computer-side hardware fault.

Leaving the only options being:

1) A problem with the actual mouse.

2) A software problem (drivers or something)

Try reinstalling any software that came with your mouse.

Or try reutrning and getting a new mouse (if it's under warranty) or just buy a new mouse, they don't cost that much, then I spose it'd be cheaper not to....

Well if the computer works with other mice, you've reinstalled software and it still only sometimes work it must be the mouse itself.

The two mice work!! On this computer in both win 98 and in win xp the problem is about half the time I boot to xp the mouse will not function at all like it isint even plugged in at all. The other half the time the mouse works like it is new.

The two mice work!! On this computer in both win 98 and in win xp the problem is about half the time I boot to xp the mouse will not function at all like it isint even plugged in at all. The other half the time the mouse works like it is new.

I know!!!

Hence I said:

"So if other mice work but this only sometimes does it seems to be a problem with this mouse."

Is your problem with the mouse not always working... is that just with one mouse or with both mice?

OK, so two working mice both don't work on this machine.

So in that case it's either:

1) A problem with the mouse software (not installed, not working, two mouse softwares interfering with each other)

2) A problem with the actual computer, probably the motherboard (maybe the PS/2 port or something)

Try fully uninstalling both mice (drivers and all) and then reinstalling just one at a time.

I dunno, maybe it's an old computer and a wire came lose... it's unlikely, but computers can physically break.

Maybe part of the port (USB or PS/2) has become covered in dust and a connection is not being made properly?

If You have tested Two mices on different computers and they both always work except on this computer and only when using XP Pro then it must be a software issue inside XP Pro.

Either a driver problem or a conflict.

I don't have any experience with XP but there should be something similar to "System Manager" inside 98 where You should be able to see problems like conflicts. So a look there when the mouse don't work may give result. If You are able to get there with only the keyboard, (without the mouse).

In Win98 use keystrokes: Ctrl + Esc , arrow up to Settings , arrow right to Conrol Panel , Enter , arrow down to System Manager , Enter .

I am using Win2000 now and I don't remember further but maybe TAB to switch between views.