Bacteria Producing Hydrogen

Pangloss

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE320050424061423&Page=3&Title=Features+-+Health+%26+Science&Topic=166

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/04/050422165917.htm

Also known as "microbial fuel cells", this technology is interesting because it suggests less energy-expensive ways to produce hydrogen, one of the biggest barriers in the search for alternative fuels.

To extract helium-3 gas the rocks have to be heated above 800 degrees Celsius.

I've actually heard of this...I don't think that its quite possible yet(20 or 40 years?), and there is the problem of getting it to earth and the refining (quote from Douglas' article), and it is still a non-renewable resource. Of course you could use that energy to get to the moon and to refine it, but it does bring the amount of energy you end up with down.

• 1 month later...

Its funny, even the moon will run out in time, if only they would learn from the oil etc, it doesnt last for every.

And what will be the effects of mining the moon?

Get some solar cells on afria and pipe hydrogen, :)

But then that would give them more power (not energy, :P, no light bulbs anyway, lol.), big no no in the mp's eyes, lol.

Its funny, even the moon will run out in time, if only they[/b'] would learn from the oil etc, it doesnt last for every.
I think you will find that they is you.

And there are huge amounts of helium3 available on Jupiter and Saturn.

I think you will find that they is you.

And there are huge amounts of helium3 available on Jupiter and Saturn.

LMAO

Just think about what you are saying, which is better?

Going to saturn which takes about 7 years (I think) OR building a system that works here on the earth.

Yeah great thinking there.

• 2 weeks later...
LMAO

Just think about what you are saying' date=' which is better?

Going to saturn which takes about 7 years (I think) OR building a system that works here on the earth.

Yeah great thinking there.[/quote']I just noticed your post.

I nearly always think about what I am saying. I very definitely thought about what I said here. You, however, appear not to have.

Item 1: You have constructed a strawman argument - there is not a choice between a going to Saturn OR building a system (by which I presume you mean a functioning fusion system). Both steps are part of the solution. Fusion is the best medium term solution to the energy crisis. Helium3 provides an optimum fuel.

Item 2: It takes seven years when energy expenditure is a concern and you have to coast in for 99.999% plus of the trip along with a couple of gravity assists. When you have fusion power and abundant fuel you can make the trip in around ten days - not seven years.

Your sarcastic comment "yeah, great thinking" ironically turns out to be quite accurate. I only wish I could take credit for it.

• 5 weeks later...
While the helium3 on Saturn is a perspective, let's wait for the time when we go to colonize other stelar systems. For now we need something else. Those assisted bacteria sound like a good idea.

Well said, :D

So basically to make the bacteria work over time, you need to stimulate them with electrical impulses. I question this though because they create carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is the factor here which isn't truly broadened upon.

How much carbon dioxide to hydrogen do they produce from "dead materials"?

What's the ratio?

It's an interesting topic but I wonder how effective they could be and how fast they can multiply.

Plus, I wouldn't be stupid enough to tear apart a satellite for resources.

That's just stupid. It could cause chaotic disorder along with a number of other things. I would rather do it to a distance planet that in uninhabitable and accessable.