Can we harvest energy from a lightning source?

Guest maxmystic

Guest maxmystic

I was just wondering for a title for a project in college when it struck me that Singapore has the one of the highest lightning strikes a year. So I will like to ask if it was possible to have this energy harvested for future use from the lightning?

I can't see any physical reason(i.e. laws of physics) that would prevent it.

You could encourage the lightning to come to you by making an inviting enough target.

But natural lightning is a bit of an untamed beast.

The actual energy in a lightning strike varies enourmously, and

if you are planning on attracting half a countries lightning to one spot

I'd hate to be the guy in charge of writing the Occ. Health manual. ;)

It's more a matter of safety, cost/return, and feasability than any

fundamental reasons of physics. Oh and stuff would get worn out

fairly quick so you'd have high maintainence costs.

At least thats my initial impression, no expert.

Cheers.

the "Whistler/Feelers" can be captured and stored quite easily with very simple apparatus, however a full on strike would evaporate the whole thing in an instant (and probably you too).

I`ve done it a few times myself (and it`s amongst my top 10 of stupid things I`ve done, so don`t even try it!). it`s a huge gamble that could go wrong before you could have time to blink, I`ve had 2 hits as a result, I`ll not try for 3`rd time lucky.

but yes, it`s perfectly possible to do.

Well, you could set it up. But who would want to work near one? If someone gets fried whose fault is it? ;)

Interesting idea, I do think that upkeep costs would limit it's abilities to function as a major energy source.

Guest maxmystic

RedAlert : thanks a lot for that idea, but in singapore, we don't have the space for the wind mills. =(

xa : until we invent something that's safe, i suppose the idea's have to be indefinitely postponed. =)

thanks ppl. =)

• 5 years later...

Hey, I'm new to forums and this is actually my first post to a forum. By the way Red Alert, just adding to your understanding of the windmill idea, I recently went to a workshop on Sustainability and Urbanisation run by the Singapore Economic Development Board for the BETA competition. During the workshop, the audience was shown a presentation on Singapore's energry requirements. I, as part of the audience was shown the statistics of how much energy Singapore requires to function as it is. Just from recalling my memory that day; if you could measure Singapore's total energry requirements for 1 year in 50 Singapores; if Singapore covered their entire land with solar panels, the total amount of energy the solar panels would be able to harvest from the sun would only account for about 3 Singapores out of 50. On the other hand, if you covered Singapore with wind turbines, the energy harvested from them would only account for about 2 Singapores out of 50. So sadly, it would just not be sufficient enough, so Singapore would be better of investing in other means of renewable energy or into R&D. By the way, I don't mean to de-moralise anyone on their hopes for solar panels and windturbines to save the day, I just want to make an interesting point and ask everyone to take it as a "feasible reality check" because I too was wondering the same; "why not cover Singapore in solar panels or windmills?" However, the reason I came across this forum was out of my own interest, I too thought if there was a way to harvest energy from lightning. It would be interesting if we found the stats on how much energy is generated from a single lighting strike and if that would be sufficient enough to power Singapore over a given period of time. If it is so, and if a way is found to harvest and allocate and utilize the energy, then there may be an end to our search for "alternative energy in a renewable form". My own thought for Singapore to harvest energy; someone please help me out with this: the name of the model for harvesting energy from algae and seawater - I wonder how feasible that would be for Singapore. Alain

Edited by Alain Stewart

So sadly, it would just not be sufficient enough, so Singapore would be better of investing in other means of renewable energy or into R&D. By the way, I don't mean to de-moralise anyone on their hopes for solar panels and windturbines to save the day, I just want to make an interesting point and ask everyone to take it as a "feasible reality check"

This is why conservation enhancements hold the greatest potential for gains because they increase the unit-functionality of energy itself instead of the amount of energy available to feed into inefficient systems. Lightbulbs are the easiest example because their efficiency can be directly measured in luminosity/watt but there are many examples in which subjective happiness can be made more energy-efficient although it's practically impossible to measure subjective happiness and well-being in standard units.

It would be interesting if we found the stats on how much energy is generated from a single lighting strike and if that would be sufficient enough to power Singapore over a given period of time. If it is so, and if a way is found to harvest and allocate and utilize the energy, then there may be an end to our search for "alternative energy in a renewable form". My own thought for Singapore to harvest energy; someone please help me out with this: the name of the model for harvesting energy from algae and seawater - I wonder how feasible that would be for Singapore. Alain

I don't know why lightning rods can't be used to electrolyze sea water and collect the hydrogen. I would think that collecting and processing algae would be rather energy-intensive.

• 8 months later...

hi i am new to forum and this is my first post. Many company's which create harvest energy from a lighting source .

The Lightning GT Electric from the Lightning Car Company is about to take the automotive industry by storm (pun intended).

I could not find anything on Lightning Car Company's site that actually suggests there is or ever will be any intention of charging up through the use of lightning. Although, the car itself is still pretty sweet despite this fact!

Edited by Xittenn