Healthy recipes:

coquina

If you got one, put it here.

As someone pointed out in the "truth in labeling" thread - pizza is a no-no for diabetics.

Try this instead:

"Upside-down Pizza"

Ingredients:

Large Portabella Mushroom

Olive oil

Italian flavored bread crumbs (optional, but you don't have to use a lot)

Veggies of your choice, ie, onions, bell pepper, black olives, (chopped finely)

Turkey pepperoni, chopped finely.

1 tbls "Pizza Quick" pizza sauce.

Part skim mozzarella, finely grated

McCormick Pizza Spice in disposable grinder. http://www.mccormick.com/pressdisplay.cfm?ID=10896

(If you can find this, it really adds flavor and you don't have to use much)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Remove stem from mushroom and place upside down on microwavable plate.

Sprinkle a little olive oil around the leaves (you can get by without this too, if you really want to cut calories.)

Layer on veggie toppings only. Zap in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes, until veggies are cooked.

Add pepperoni, pizza sauce, and top with mozzarella.

Grind on Pizza Spice

Nuke one minute or until cheese melts.

Enjoy!

Notes: If you are on a low salt diet - you might want to leave off the Pizza Sauce, and the McCormick spice. I think Mrs. Dash has a blend that contains no salt.

Chopping vegetables finely helps them cook quickly.

Another advantage to this is that it is a "one-dish wonder". There is no big mess to clean up. Also, it only takes a few minutes to prep and cook. I particularly like it because I don't like to take a long time to fix dinner just for myself.

not a recipy as such, but a couple of healthy alternatives to sweets:

#break a carrot in two

#look at its cross section, and note the lighter couloured circle in the middle

#the outer carrot can be broken away from this lighter inner carrot with relitive ease.

the lighter center of the carrot tasts yummy MMMMMM as do sugar snap peas, and both make healthy alternatives to sweets for tasty snacks inbetween meals

ok theyre not that great, but they dont tast like arse like most vegetables do, and they're healthyer than sweets

I have this for dinner sometimes instead of meat.

Ingredients:

Large Granny Smith Apple

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 cup grated cheese

2 tbls breadcrumbs

Sweeten to taste with Spenda

Cut the apple into thin slices, put in microwavable dish

Microwave for 2 minutes

Add walnuts, splenda and bread crumbs and mix well

Put grated cheese on top

Zap until cheese melts.

It's ready to eat.

My wife does nearly all our cooking, but likes a muhlich which I make up from mostly raw organic ingredients. I don't measure, but simply add to taste as I go. I begin with a sizeable bowl for easy mixing (which I do with a large spoon). First in goes raw organic rolled oats which we buy at a health food outlet by the 50 lb bag. I believe it runs around 30 - 35 dollars but lasts a long time. From there I add whatever tastes good and is healthy. The list goes as follows:

1. about 3 or 4 tablespoons of cold pressed flax oil which I buy frozen by the quart and keep in the freezer so as not to turn rancid which it will do easily. In our freezer door compartment it does not get hard but stays very cold. There's a test for rancid oils. Sample a small dab and if it stings your throat, IT IS RANCID! :eek: Much of the olive oils you buy in the supermarket, even though they are valid dated, DO NOT PASS THE TEST! I also had to return some flax oil capsules which did not pass the test, though they had good dates. For that reason, I bite all oil capsules when I get them.

Olive oil is fine too, if you can find some good coldpressed that's not rancid or if you can buy it frozen.

2. A quarter cup or so of wheat germ. (organic, of course)

3. A quarter cup or so of raw organic sunflower seeds. Do not buy sunflower

seeds unless they are raw and have a rich grey color. If they are yellowish, they're worthless and not good for you.

4. Raw organic nut chips or chopped nuts can replace sunflower seeds if desired.

5. If at all possible a nice ripe (but not mushy) mango is an important ingredient, imo. This should be diced which is tricky. You first peel half of it. Why? Because they're miserably slippery and you need the other half unpeeled to hold onto it. Then with a good sharp knife you slice TO THE SEED (important) longwise first about five or six slices. Then you slice crosswise the whole length of the half so you end up with little pea size dices. Then you shave off that side to the seed, making sure your all the way to the seed, leaving half of your seed bare when you finish that half. Now you have the seed to dig your fingernails onto for a grip so you can hold it to peel the other half and do likewise. (Practice makes perfect) For a good muhlich, it's important to have everything in small parts/dices so as to get a nice blend when finished.

6. Add one diced/sliced banana. I peel it down so as far as I can and still hold the unpeeled part in left hand. Then I slice once through the middle all the way down, after which I slice it quite thinly all the way down. Then I peel the end I've held and dice it up. Again this procedure is used so as to hold onto it.

7. Add to this UNSULFURED blackstrap molasses to taste. Even if you don't like blackstrap, you'll like it in this as it, as with everything else blends the whole so you don't taste anything particular, perse. I often add some genuine maple syrup also. NO SUGAR!! Imo, if you do you will end up with something inferior in taste and unhealthy for your body. Blackstrap molasses is all the good nutritious stuff that is left after refining the sugar out of sugar cane. In America most is fed to animals to keep them healthy and we stupid humans eat the worthless nutritionless white sugar, wrecking havoc with out health and rotting our teeth. :eek:

8. A few tablespoons of plain white yogart is good.

9. A few tablespoons of UNSULFURED grated coconut is an excellent ingredient, but for health, make sure it's unsulfured and says so on the lable. Most is not. Your local health store will likely have it or can get it.

10. Berries, such as blueberrys, currants, strawberrys, etc are excellent ingredients, either frozen or preferably fresh. If you don't like to deal with the seeds, don't use currants or rasberrys. I don't mind them. Dice up the strawberrys.

11 Other fresh fruits as desired can be added but dice them up good.

12.Oat bran, rice or other grain bran is always included in my mix.

13. Tofu is good.

14. To end up with the desired slump (a term used in mixing cement for desired thickness :D ) you will likely need some kind of liquid. I often use Coors beer as last I heard Coors uses no nitrites. I need to check with them though to see if that still holds true. Water will work fine if it's not clorinated tap water. Milk not good, nor is pop. Fruit juice is good so long as it's the real stuff. I sometimes use cider if I can get it without preservative nitrites. Wine has the nitrites also. MIX THOROUGHLY (very important) with a large spoon. As you mix and mix and mix, it will thicken. This is when you begin to add liquid to desired slump.

This gives you something delicious to try. I call it sinless desert meal :D It's also something you can scale down or up sizewize according to how many you're feeding. Most guests should love this, but I suggest you do one up for yourself first. There's all kinds of variations you can use to suit and finetune what you like. Remember though that you SHOULD NOT LIVE TO EAT. You should EAT TO LIVE!! :cool:

I believe fruit meals such as this tend towards an acid body ph if eaten too often. You need the vegies, (preferably raw) to maintain a slightly alkaline body ph for optimum health, according to the health books.

Cheers and good health to all! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

My wife makes THEE BEST and THEE MOST HEALTHY pancakes. Here's her {until now) secret fomula/recipe.

l. A cup and a half of whole organic rolled oats and 2 cups of buttermilk. Let these soak a few minutes while you're getting the rest ready.

2. A half cup of whole organic spelt flour. (Spelt is similar to wheat, but imo, better and no wheat gluten.)

3. About a half teaspoon of salt.

4. 2 eggs (we get ours from organic source)

5. 2/3 teaspoon baking soda.

If you want to top your cakes with a delicious and nutritrous topping, mash up a banana and mix with unsulfured black strap molasses (enough molasses to taste.) Spread this on your cakes. Mmmm good!! Sometimes I substitute pure maple syrup for the molasses.

The larger health food stores in many cities would have most of the organic stuff. Believe me, it's worth the little extra to buy organic and buy healthy. Cheaper than docs. :cool:

Most of us put the best oil and parts in our automobiles, but alas, so few care a snap about the quality of what goes into the precious human body. :-(

l. A cup and a half of whole organic rolled oats and 2 cups of buttermilk. Let these soak a few minutes while you're getting the rest ready.

2. A half cup of whole organic spelt flour. (Spelt is similar to wheat, but imo, better and no wheat gluten.)

[/Quote]

I'm pretty sure oats have gluten in them too.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure oats have gluten in them too.

Cheers.

Likely most grains do have some. I may have this wrong, but I believe its the wheat gluten that some have problems with.

• 3 years later...

Upsidedown pizza sounds great! :)

It leads me to a question though! Why is it that people consider pizza to be unhealthy?

We have:

Bread Base (V. Healthy)

Tomatoes (V. Healthy)

Onions (Healthy)

Cheese (Dairy product, contains fat, but so what - Healthy food)

Toppings (other vegetables and mushrooms [Healthy] and meat [also required in a non veggie diet, so healthy])

So why is it that when all of these perfectly healthy ingredients are put together to make a mouth watering pizza - it is considered an unhealthy food option by some? :confused:.....:D

SO - here's my healthy option recipe:

Pizza! AND - accompany said pizza with a nice large glass of red wine for extra health benefits!:D