The Edge - The World Question Center

coquina

The question for 2005 - "What do you believe is true, even though you cannot prove it?"

Many people, including highly respected scientists, replied to this question. Read what they wrote here:

http://www.edge.org/q2005/q05_print.html

Comments in general or to specific answers?

About "The Edge"

http://www.edge.org/about_edge.html

Edge Foundation, Inc., was established in 1988 as an outgrowth of a group known as The Reality Club. Its informal membership includes of some of the most interesting minds in the world.

The mandate of Edge Foundation is to promote inquiry into and discussion of intellectual, philosophical, artistic, and literary issues, as well as to work for the intellectual and social achievement of society. Edge Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit private operating foundation under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributors to Edge own the copyright to their original writing posted on this site and their posting is in effect a license permitting Edge Foundation, Inc. the electronic use of this work. In the event Edge Foundation, Inc. wishes to use the work in a print medium it will not do so before asking and securing the written permission of the author. Edge Foundation, Inc. owns the cumulative copyright to the site.

Coquina,

These articles are truly fascinating ! I just started reading them and I am already amazed by their content.

I particularly agree with one of the writers about the effects of the internet and the wealth of information that is available to us now. Its not so muh that it is avialable, but that it is available instantaneously, and how it is classified and structured. But, we are only seeing the beginning of what is possible. We are the frist, the poineers of having all this information at our fingertips. It is mind boggling to think of how this will affect future generations, and how they will continually improve our information gathering capabilities.

Taken to one of its ultimate conclusions, imagine a world where every person is consciously linked to all the inofrmation databases of the world. Now imagine that we can also input our thoughts and opinions into a virtual databases. Does this in fact form a realtime collective consciousness, a Matrix of a very different kind ? (and imagine the possibilities for realtime gaming ! Whoa ! ) Will this someday happen to future generations ? I think so too. I only wish I could be there to see and experience it.

Back to more reading. Thank you ! These articles made my week !