Thermodynamic def vs. mathematical def.

Dominic

I was assuming that it meant to express a value a collection of thermodynamic values (such as H, enthalpy, as you mentioned or H or U) which would give you a "thermodynamic definition" vs. if you defined the same value with "measurables" such as Pressure, Volume, and temp.

But I'm not sure about that and I can't seem to find a definition in my textbook or online.

Items that are measured directly:

Temp measured by thermometer

Pressure by barometer

Volume by ruler or water displacement...

Enthalpy by ?????

Enthalpy can be measured, it is how we have our Cp and Cv values (probably) but if someone wants a H or U or S value they won't use an instrument to do it they will measure other simpler things to measure and then calculate the others.

I don't have much of a prob with ochem. Concepts are easy enough to deal with, some memorization, and some spacial orientation issues for some people.

The pchem is what is getting me. It is multivariable calculus based and I have to admit I didn't enjoy multi-variable calculus either.