Sea-type moss in my backyard

Edisonian

I recently moved into a new house. The previous owners had a boat in the backyard. We have a brick patio and a deck, and I noticed the strangest thing. Both the patio and the deck have a very bright green moss in certain spots. There is more on the patio in between the bricks. The moss looks like the same stuff you see on rocks by water. The funny thing is that sometimes I swear I can detect an ocean smell in the air.

I remember the owners making a point at settlement of how "green" the grass looks in the spring. I now wonder if it is because the moss is in the grass too.

It seems clear to me that this sea moss has started to spread in my backyard. Does this make any sense to any of you? Should I have any concerns?

The "Moss" is probably sea weed, which is also what the sea smell anywhere is. Some seaweeds can live in non saline areas i imagine, and a bit has probably dropped of the boat and begun to grow.

• 3 months later...

check the salinity of the soil

look for the substrate on which it grows.

where does the root touch the soil

look for the place where the plant touches the soil more and where it touches less based on the distance between the nodes

dig the ground where it touches more and see the composition