Spanking vs. Other Punishments

blike

Originally posted by Intelligence

Thus one should actually spank their child when the child performs an acitivty they want them to perform more often.

That'll produce mixed results then, won't it? B/c if you want someone to do something, it would be b/c they want to; but I'm seeing what you're saying as more of a rebellious type of situation. Maybe if you could elaborate on why that is, I could have a clearer understanding.

NSX - I was being a bit sarcastic towards the end. Indeed spanking increases the activity which one is attempting to stop, but that's in the context that it is as you said rebelious.

The statement after that was somewhat of a digression and would not work in reality.

Violence is usually employed when diplomacy fails, and rightly so. The offender determines the level of correction based on the level of non-compliance they decide to escalate the situation to. At a point, threat and deliverance of violence becomes the only stimuli that the offender will respond to. Of course, there are those that resort to violence too quickly. There are also those that don't do it soon enough, if ever (UN). Violence has it's place; Last resort.

I strongly disagree, i somewhat believe that it is possible as a last resort, but not in dealing with children. Violence is most often if not always a misjudgement, and more often then that simply anger. How do you know the offender will respond to violence against them? Please show me one bit of evidence where this truly worked. Some people are too the point where they wont repond to anything, and so violence is the means disabling therefore controlling them to prevent them causing more damage---- it still doesn't change the problem. And as i said before, this response does not apply in parenting. A child is born with no such malicious intents, so i believe that a caring, loving parent will take the time to use their intelligence to support the growth of beauty against dissfunction that settles when misunderstanding arises. It is the parents responsibility to determine all these things, yes a child eventually becomes a parent, and so it is a matter of freedom of choice as well, but a loving parent will do everything in their power to provide an enviroment where growth into being a functional person, who will grow to be a loving parent, is most possible. This is about the strongest belief i hold.

Always have hope and faith in the better way.

If you are acting out violence towards a child for the sake of acting it out fine.

If you are acting out violence towards a child because you think this will lessen the occurence of an act you are DEAD WRONG.

All research shows children will not only increase the activity being punished but will step up to higher levels of the same unwanted acts.

As for navajo's comments. You said it yourself, you're emotionally attached to an issue and can't think critically.

yes, blike, your mother and father had a very keen sense

of discipline...they talked and then spanked...u learned...

my children were disciplined (spanked) and then talked

to and it seems they learned nothing...at the time any-

way...my eldest would beg to be spanked...even saying,

"mom, i am not going to go to bed without a spanking"...

and unfortunately he very rarely did go to bed without

one...it also seems that in later life (he is now 28), he

has learned respect and would now laugh and tell anyone

that asked that spankings did him no good...i used to

feel bad about disciplining my children with spankings...

i even went to the welfare office and asked them about

this...at the time their only response to this was "as long

as you leave no marks, you may whip your child all you

feel you need to"...this shocked me and i never whipped

my children again...they have all grown to be fine pro=

ductive adults...my opinion on this matter is this...i agree

with your parents' theory...tell your child why they need

disciplined...discipline (whatever form they need) and

then stick to your guns...you grew up fine, as your brother

has also.

Sad thing is girls who were spanked when they were young are more likely to grow up to like older men spanking them during sex.

They are also MUCH more likely to grow up to be sexually subserviant to males.....usually males that were there fathers age at the time of the spankings.

Thanks for the kinky chicks!

I'm not sure your exactly correct that i am uncritical, but it so what is the exact critical value of criticality, in certain instances against others. Being critical is good, but what if in some instances it is only an illusion. I hold other beliefs that i would accept as debatable, but not my beliefs about family and love. What is wrong with this? Can you please critically explain what function of love makes it a faulty way of thinking? Is it that it is too 'abstract' to be made scientifically experimentable? Nothing can be prooven, anything you believe in is about faith anyway (simple fact (yet many people deny it for some reason)), so i do not accept that answer. I believe that emotion is a fluid and more efficient way of thinking than being critical--- but along with its power if used correctly, it is immessely easy to incorrectly read and respond to emotion. But i believe you also have the power to sense if your judgements are correct, some people will deny this to survive the few flaws they feel but feel obligated to ignore. --- As i said though this belief of mine i am less sure of than the one ocuping my previous post. That belief i will hold forever and noone will ever convince me otherwise, though i am willing to listen, i am set in my knowledge that love is the answer. I may not live up to my knowledge as well as i possibly can (i'm only 16 right now though, i have time to grow up) i know it is solid.

If you are only 16 then do not worry. I'm not going to critique the mentality of a 16 year old that's like commenting on a project before it's done.....

......If you are NOT religious then you're ahead enough, and if you're not then there's no hope.

You say "nothing can be proven"

But this is logically impossible. If nothing can, then that statements that nothing can be proven CANNOT be proven.

Therefore it's false and something can be proven.......

Of course claims can be proven. There's no faith in accepting the claim that a value can is completely true.

I actually agree with you that it is a self destructive statement, but still noone has been able do truly destroy it truth. Perhaps it is possible to proove the fact of uncertainty away by some very creative mentality, but thus far it has not manifest itself.

I find it a freedom giving statement, really actually valueless though. It simply means we must choose for ourselves, the important addition though is that it means (as i see it) that we should make decisions we do not feel are right (with or without being able to tell why) just because we feel obligated.

I was brought up religously, but i have a mentality completely different than most religous people, so maybe that gives me hope. I have been athiest before, but i see no benefit in such faiths. Still a testimony for love of a spouse and children as the answer to solve the worlds problems is my soul faith above all else almost.

Thank you for not judging me.

Originally posted by IMI

Violence is usually employed when diplomacy fails, and rightly so. The offender determines the level of correction based on the level of non-compliance they decide to escalate the situation to. At a point, threat and deliverance of violence becomes the only stimuli that the offender will respond to. Of course, there are those that resort to violence too quickly. There are also those that don't do it soon enough, if ever (UN). Violence has it's place; Last resort.

My bad, I thought I had quoted someone else who had related this thread to politics. I was furthering that facet. No way for y'all to know that if I forget to pull in a quote though! Sorry :embarass: