piranah bath- not so strong?

akcapr

I made some "piranah bath" (30% h2o2 + h2so4) (50-50 roughly), and i wanted to see how well it would dissolve meat. i set up an experiment to see how well acetic acid conc., conc. h2so4, h202, KOH, and "piranah bath" would dissolve a piece of beef. I thought piranah bath would "eat away the flesh" faster than sulfuric acid, but it didnt, it wasn very good at dissolving it, even though people say its stronger than h2so4. Why is this?

dude you seriously need to chill.

tell me what you know about peroxymonosulfuric acid.

first, you probably didnt use the correct procedure to make it. you have to be precise in making it; it forms an equilibrium that depends on exactly how you make it.

H2O2 + H2SO4 <--- ---> H2SO5 + H2O

your acid was moderately dilute. it also wasnt prepared properly. that is why it appeared to be weaker.

i'm not going to tell you the specifics of just how you are to make it, just because it is downright unpredictable if you make it correctly. not only is it incredibly corrosive but it also can explode easily, especially when in contact with organics

Ahem,

The good news is that your method for making Caro's acid isn't even close.

The bad news is that if you keep experimenting with trying to make persulfurics you will end up with a Darwin award at best, and at worst you will end up on the wrong end of natural selection.

Niether of these is a good place to be.

I will say this now as to avoid further confusion.

We will not tolerate posts made in regards to production of hazardous/deadly materials. It is quite obvious from reading this thread that these instructions could, in the wrong hands, give quite appauling consequences. In fact, this is a matter that we take very seriously, and are currently discussing in the moderator forum.

Please remember that not everyone reading these forums are responsible adults. You may inadvertantly cause accidents, or worse, by posting material ascertaining to the production of hazardous chemicals.

akcapr: Consider this a formal warning. We won't tolerate this kind of behaviour.

This thread is closed. Anyone who thinks this thread should be re-opened should either PM or e-mail me.