Ipod charger

Lance

I'm sure this isn't the right forum but Ill ask here and see if anybody can help me.

I just bought and received an iPod mini. The iPod did not come with an ac charger. You charge the battery with the USB cord.

Thats all fine and dandy but the problems comes in when I travel to Europe. This summer I will be going to the UK and France. I will not be bringing a laptop so I have no way to charge the battery.

I can buy the travel kit sold by iPod but I would also have to buy the charger which would total $90.

So heres the question: The travel kit looks like its just physical adapters that fit into the charger for the outlets in the different countries and it *looks* like the actual charger will work with 230v 50hz. So, would it be possible to only buy the charger and then rig my own adapter from the cords of European appliances?

Well it's supplying the same device (Ipod) with the same power that it would normally so I would have assumed that as the output of the charger was the same it'd be fine to use it wherever.

Or you could come visit some of us whilst your over here!

Well it's supplying the same device (Ipod) with the same power that it would normally so I would have assumed that as the output of the charger was the same it'd be fine to use it wherever.

But the problem is I'm not sure if the output will be the same. I don't know if the charger is made to accept both 120v and 230v. If it can accept either then I could just find some old European power cords and rig it into a travel charger.

Or you could come visit some of us whilst your over here!

I would but it looks like Im going to be pretty busy. :-(

Well look at it this way... that Ipod is being charged happily by the "official charger". Now if the "official-abroad charger" also charges is happily either the Ipod doesn't mind being charge at different voltages or the output voltage of the charger is the same.

The only possible difference is if the Ipod needs xV (where x is an unknown voltage), the overseas charger regulates the voltage to maintain it at xV regardless of the voltage recieved from the plug.

Can't you just use normaly rechargeable batteries which can be recharged normally?

So heres the question: The travel kit looks like its just physical adapters that fit into the charger for the outlets in the different countries and it *looks* like the actual charger will work with 230v 50hz. So' date=' would it be possible to only buy the charger and then rig my own adapter from the cords of European appliances?[/quote']

Well, it depends on the adapter. Also on the type of plug.

UK is 3 prong: -

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=1062

but France is two: -

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=1038

In fact, check out the advice on this page: -

http://kropla.com/electric.htm

But a correct adaptor should do you fine. The differences in voltage are acceptable to the Ipod, as it's an international product.

Once you are in the UK, you can marvel at our sophistamacated earthing system in all plugs. It helps make sure you don't die, which is nice. :D

Once you are in the UK' date=' you can marvel at our sophistamacated earthing system in all plugs. It helps make sure you don't die, which is nice. :D[/quote']

Thats what I was thinking......

Whre abouts in the UK

Although everything is double insulated so nothing uses the earthing wire anymore.... but yes "marvel at our sophistamacated earthing system in all plugs" :D

Er. I'm not sure if I want to break your sense of security now, but DON'T TRUST THE PLUGS!!!!!112 :eek:

So heres the question: The travel kit looks like its just physical adapters that fit into the charger for the outlets in the different countries and it *looks* like the actual charger will work with 230v 50hz. So, would it be possible to only buy the charger and then rig my own adapter from the cords of European appliances?
if the charger says it works off 110V 50/60 Hz AND 220V 50/60 Hz, and IF the the rectifier (AC to DC converter) plugs directly into the wall, then all you need is the adapter to go from your plug....to adapter.... to the wall socket. Check this link to see what I mean....the price should be less than $10.00

http://store.traveloasis.com/unad1andgrou.html