Uses of Potassium Chloride

Infinity

its used to prevent and treat conditions such as hypokalemia (typo?), the K+ ion is used in nerve condustion, kidneys and muscle contractions, fertiliser, lo-salt. thats what i can think of off the top of my head. potassium is vital in our bodies and using KCl is the usual way to replenish it, as it contains the k+ ion.

i think you might be on about potassium chlorATE (KClO3) that is a good oxidiser and used in explosives and fireworks.

The minimum lethal dose is a LOT. It takes an ungodly amount taken orally to produce death. However, if a concentrated solution of it is injected intravenously then it is quite effective. I'm just not sure on the exact amount.

is it because it has something to do with the nervous system? like it will deplete all the cellular K in heart preventing it from contracting?

Good question. Maybe it just compresses your heart and prevents it from beating normally and slows down the pace of beating and then the heart gets weaker and weaker and then it dies out?

Main use of KCl is as fertiliser. Also it's sometimes used to replace part of NaCl in table salt. One of industrial uses is production of KOH and chlorine gas by electrolysis. KCl is also used as source of potassium when other potassium salts are made.

is it because it has something to do with the nervous system? like it will deplete all the cellular K in heart preventing it from contracting?

Yes. The excess potassium in circulation messes with the blance of potassium ions in the muscle cells of the heart which causes the heart to stop beating. Potassium is crucial for muscle contraction and too much of it will just prevent them from contracting at all, while to little will make them cramp up. If you've ever had a lot of leg cramps, you might notice that eating bananas on a daily basis will cure that constant cramping due to the potassium in the bananas.

How many uses does the ionic compound Potassium Chloride (KCl) have?

impossible to determine, how long is a peice of string?

but since this thread`s taken the direction of trying to list a few, it`s also used in toothpastes to de-sensitise teeth (take a look at the active ingredient in `Sensodyne` for example).