Black Holes What are they?

Originally posted by Preston Taist

There is speculation that if a craft were to enter a rapidly spinning black hole from its axis that it might be possible to pass through one. The acceleration at the axis wouldn't be "c" if the star were rotating fast enough. Hey Radical Edward, could you tell me where i could read about the perturbation you were talking about? just a link or somthing.thanks

I got it from physics lectures, I forget which course now, Astro maybe. I sugest poking round the physics section of a library, I am sure there are a wealth of books discussing this area since it is pretty popular and interesting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael F. D.

Black Holes. What are they?

they are manifestations of Einstein's General Relativity, objects calculated at the special case for which the density and hence gravity is so high that light cannot escape. see the announcement in astronomy

THAT'S ALL, BORING EH?

Originally posted by Sayonara³

So 500 years ago the world was flat, and now it's a rough sphere?

500 years ago, everyone didn't believe the world was unflat challenged. There were still people. (and other beings we don't account for) who believed the world was roundish.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by KHinfcube22

so if the absence of color is black, but clear also has no color, then what is the color of regular holes?

Black is 100% absorbtion, 'clear' (colourless) is 100% transmission.

At least in it's 'perfect' case.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Black is 100% absorbtion, 'clear' (colourless) is 100% transmission.

At least in it's 'perfect' case.

Ya I know, I was just half a sleep when I was typing. Isn't white thn 100% reflection? And what would 100% refraction be?

• 11 months later...

Keeping on the subject of gravity and a great mechasnism for a future doomsday movie.

Observations on singularity theory, M. McInnes, wednesday september 10, 2003 9:50 pm

black holes may be the presence of pure, solid matter in the 'absence of space', this being the densest state in which matter may exist, all of the matter the singularity contains has had its space removed, the singularity is in essence a spaceless anti-star

the atoms contained in observable stars, planets etc. have huge amounts of space 'trapped' in their matter, therefore anti-stars will have no space contained within them

the singularity is a uniform, protonless nucleus mass, as it is unobservable, it is 'dark matter'

complete, uniform inversion of the star's core magnetic field is the mechanism that facilitates the start of this process

the increase in the mass of the singularity is derived by the gravitational inversion field 'squeezing the space', such as the space between an atom's nucleus and its orbiting electrons, out of all matter that encounters the event horizon

this 'space free' matter is then absorbed into the singularity, thus protons, neutrons and electrons are converted into a near infinately compressed homogenous mass

some of the energy from this conversion will also be captured by the gravity well, perpetuating and increasing its effects on the regions adjacent to it

the removal of the space contained in matter by this gravitational inversion creates a 'super vacuum' effect upon the space around it

stars normally PUSH enormous amounts of energy/matter away from themselves into space, therefore these anti-stars will PULL enormous amounts of energy/matter into themselves from space and eject empty space as the by-product therefore causing galaxies to move away from each other

the space removed from the matter absorbed by the singularity is manifested back into the universe as completely empty space, thus the more numerous and more massive 'anti-stars' become, so too will the faster the expansion become

when there is no longer enough matter/energy to maintain the critical mass or the inversion field is disrupted, possibly by contact with another singularity , the singularity will then collapse, this dense matter will now absorb space as it cools and expands, thus forming the basic elements, spreading matter and energy across hundreds of millions of miles creating nebulae

this collapse of singularities is also the cause of the uniform background radiation, all the matter/energy/space that we can observe has already been through this process, the constant background radiation is the signature of that event

the rate of energy/matter that an anti-star may 'ingest' is proportional to the mass of the singularity itself, the larger the singularity is, the faster it will absorb energy/matter into itself

each star is in effect part of an intergalactic gulfstream, with each star pushing energy/matter etc into space and the anti-stars pulling energy/matter from space, creating more empty(compressed?) space

the form of the solar currents will thus be shaped by the tug-of-war between stars and anti-stars

using this model it is possible to predict that if our sun was to be 'instantly turned off' as if by a switch several events would immediately occur

1) the planets in our solar system would be flung out of their orbits on a trajectory into space

2) entire flash freezing of the entire earth

3) all surface 'debris' i.e. people, vehicles, loose soil, rocks (anything not anchored to the planet) would be flung off the planet's surface

this also shows that the sun is responsible for creating our gravity and that the gravity that we feel on earth is not pulling us to the earth but is actually pushing us down from above

dedicated to Stephen Hawking & Walter Wright, who through their different ideas about gravity lead me to delve into this subject myself.

What's really gonna cook your noodle later is would you have broken it if I hadn't said anything.

Picture that you have two globe shaped magnets of the same polarity sitting in a small bowl. Due to their polarity these two magnets will start to repulse each other causing them to start rotating around the inside of the bowl. That is why our moon orbits the earth, they are two objects that have the same magnetic polarity and as such never the twain shall meet.

The source of this polarity is the magnetic/gravitational field created by our star. The reason we have moons is due to the repulsive nature of magnetic fields of the same polarity, the planets push the moons away from themselves and at the same time the star is pushing the planets/moons away from itself. The planets then orbit inside the gravitational well (picture giant bowl) of the star and their moons orbit the gravitational well(small bowl) of the planets. So in essence we have a bunch of 'small bowls' created by the planets orbiting inside a 'giant bowl' created by our star.

Hope this makes it a little easier to understand.