The Forge

psi20

well I 1`st started learning at high school taking Metalwork, from there I got a job working in a small shop making ornate wrought iron work, things like gates and hanging basket brackets even a few bed frames (gothic style), I was taught alot working there, even how to weld.

there was only myself and the owner working there and so I had plenty of time to ask questions and actualy have a go hands on with all parts of the manufacturing.

perhaps there`s such a place nearby in your area? it would certainly provide invaluable experience, even if it was only a weekend job or after school :)

I want to learn some metallurgy and metalworking. Where can I learn this stuff with hands on experience?

I have a machine shop - we use milling machines, lathes, drill presses and grinders to remove metal. "Fab shops" or "Sheet metal" shops do more in the way of shearing, bending and welding. Foundries make castings from molds.

Often community colleges have courses in the basics.

Coquina is a great resource when it comes to machining with metal, and I'll bet she has experience with fabrication, too. If you titled this thread "The Forge" because you are interested in heating bar stock and beating it into either swords or plowshares, that's a little different.

psi20, your profile doesn't say where you're from, but you may try "blacksmiths" or "farriers" in your local directory. Most farriers these days don't make their own horseshoes anymore, but some still do.