does anyone know a good place to start with rocketry?

Ice_Phoenix87

Google : RCANDY

This tells you a neat way to make the fuel (FOR ONE TYPE OF MOTORS!).

http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/indexEN.html

This page tells a lot about making rocket motors.

Maybe try googling Chris Beauregard.

If still unsure, mail me.

I don't know much about any single subject, but I know a little about a ton of subjects.

actualy, if you`re starting this as a new Hobby, do NOT try making your own rocket engines!

start with factory made engines and kits "Estes" are a reputable company with a good product variety and track record (I used to buy my stuff from them when I was a kid!)

after you`ve gained alot of experience with these, then move onto making your own rocket designs (it`s alot of fun!), but for yours and the safety of those around you, always use the ready made engines.

edit: remember, there`s a very FINE dividing line between a rocket engine and a Pipe Bomb!

actualy' date=' if you`re starting this as a new Hobby, do NOT try making your own rocket engines!

start with factory made engines and kits "Estes" are a reputable company with a good product variety and track record (I used to buy my stuff from them when I was a kid!)

after you`ve gained alot of experience with these, then move onto making your own rocket designs (it`s alot of fun!), but for yours and the safety of those around you, always use the ready made engines.

edit: remember, there`s a very FINE dividing line between a rocket engine and a Pipe Bomb![/quote']

Agree.

engines are one use type devices, get them in packs of five or ten.

they are rated on burn time, so get ones that go really high if you want to impress the kids.

there is also a little igniter that you put up the centre of each engine.

that gets burnt away on each flight.

you get these in packs.

you get a starter handle with a battery in it that triggers these igniters.

get the one with the lock out key.

take the key with you when you go to load the next engine.

Kids will always pick up the handle and press the fire button when you are not watching them.

YT2095 wrote: remember, there`s a very FINE dividing line between a rocket engine and a Pipe Bomb!

I totaly agree. A rocket engine is basicaly a firecracker that vents so i doens't explode (but the mix is alittle slower burning)

If your gonna make your own rockets, just do small stuff for beggining, like bottle rockets. I usauly just take some black powder, and some printer paper, take a small piece of it, like 3 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. I then crease the paper, put some black powder in the crease and fold it up tightly, and seal one end with duct tape, and wrap it in only one layer of duct tape to hold it all together. Then tape a wood skewer on it and squeez it with a vise or pliers, but not to hard. And your done (always use fuse, though, and bail when the fuse is lighting, because it is nature of rockets for them to change directions if not perfectly balanced.

If you start out small, youll be more prepared for the big stuff, but just take the hobby slow.

ive been making rockets for a few months, and i never bought estes ones . what i do is make tubes by wrapping paper grocery bag strips around a dowel while adding glue then i cook inthe oven. When hard i take powdered cat litter and pound it with a hammer into the bottom"nozzle" end of the tube. It gets rock hard, then i drill a hole for nozzle. For the propellant i use Kno3 (65% by weight) 25% powdered sugar, 15% corn syrup, and a tiny bit of Fe2O3 (a catalyst that make it burn faster). I use a skewer to make the core to make it burn faster. I seal the end with epoxy. This non-ejection motor is good for strapping to "rocket cars" or what not. To make an ejection one instead of sealing up the end with epoxy, take a piece of propellaNT and plug up the end flush with the casing with NO core (the delay). Then add epoxy to seal the end. When hard, drill into it with a tiny drill bit until you hit the delay. Then add like 2-3 grams of blackpowder for the ejection and walla!! a motor as good as estes for around a dollar total cost. It takes paractice to make good casings, good propellant, and good nozzles. The biggest problems i always had was the end seal or nozzle would blow out, but i fixed those by using epoxy for the end plug and alot (1/2 in- 2/3 in) of cat litter nozzle. this mixture will virtually never blow up and is quite safe. In my early months i used Potassium chlorate and sugar, about half of those exploded quite violently.