How relativity might prove spirituality

MirceaKitsune

In this case, many documentaries about spacetime stated that time is a static and fixed dimension. I assume channels like National Geographic wouldn't air science films if they were made by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

These sort of simplifications and analogies are frequently misleading.

These sort of simplifications and analogies are frequently misleading.

Television in general is just not a reliable source for science education, no matter what channel it (and some of the channels that are supposedly devoted to being "educational" are actually the worst. I'm looking at you, History Channel).

Even the better programs out there (I like what I've seen of the rebooted Cosmos) are almost always tackling the subject matter on a very superficial level. The nuts and bolts of most scientific theories (especially the actual math) are frequently not considered sexy enough to put on screen and anything more in-depth generally requires at least a passing familiarity with how the math works.

Honestly, even if you aren't mathematically inclined, you should at least look at the equations for a theory and learn what they're used for, even if your math skills aren't up to doing anything with them yourself. Most of the stuff you'll come across otherwise is likely to be analogies for attempts to explain what the math says or people parroting analogies for other people attempts to explain the implications of the math. A lot tends to get lost in translation and without being familiar with what the theory already says, it can be difficult to tell which explanations are actually good and which parts of the analogy are actually applicable and which parts start to break down when you try to apply them to reality.

teaching_physics.png