Furthering the thrust toward explanation

Popcorn Sutton

Given imaginary time being a property of real space, should we ask ourselves if there may be creatures who can navigate through imaginary time? Is this a possible explanation for real time?

Aren't we humans, creatures who can already navigate through imaginary time? Ever since we invented cinematography, and its more sophisticated successors such as videotape and DVD.

These recording devices enable us to speed up, or slow down, Time. As least as far as images are concerned. We can for example, record the image of a glass tumbler slipping from the hand, falling down through the air, hitting the floor and shattering into bits. These events - the slippage - the falling - the shattering, take place very quickly in "real time".

So quickly that it's hard to analyse them. Especially the shattering. All we can say - looking at it in real time, is something like:

"One moment the glass was in my hand, then it was lying in broken bits all over the floor". That's because the sequence of events lasted no more than a few seconds of "real time". Too brief a period for us to dissect.

But - suppose the events are recorded on a movie camera. Which uses film, or digital technology. Then we'll be able to replay the incident. And - slow it down, to show the precise sequence of events.

The fingers gradually losing their grip on the glass,. The fall of the glass, its partial rotatory motion as it goes downwards. The impact as it hits the floor, sending fracture-planes shooting through the glass, Making shards detach, and fly apart in arcs.

The whole occurrence can be viewed over and over again. It can be slowed down, or speeded up. Or "freeze-framed" to study a particular instant. We can "navigate" through every instant of the event, frame by frame.

Or even reverse the time sequence of the event, by running the frames backwards!

And doesn't this "navigation" take place in "imaginary time" where the glass can fall, and re-fall, for ever?

So it's able to travel through space without advancing in time?

You'd need new physics, since this violates what we are currently using.

I have this belief that nothing is impossible. That belief, coupled with what I've heard about alien encounters suggests that there may be creatures who can traverse space without advancing in time. One of the witnesses descriptions was that they saw a craft in the air but it wasn't moving smoothly; it was skipping as if there was a latency issue. Maybe that craft was traveling through space without advancing in time except to take another momentary snapshot.

It would also imply that they may send communication signals all simultaneously which would be too fast to detect from a radio telescope and, even if we did detect it, we wouldn't be able to make sense of it, for one, and for two, the people in charge may not have even thought that this type of communication would even exist.

It's just a strange idea to contemplate.

I have this belief that nothing is impossible.

I don't care what you believe. I only care what you can demonstrate.

You might believe that over-unity machines are possible, but until you actually build one, I have no reason to listen to you instead of the well-established science that tells me that they are not.

So until you come up with a framework for discussing this, it is firmly ensconced in science fiction. (And perhaps not a horrible idea for a story, either)

I don't care what you believe. I only care what you can demonstrate.

You might believe that over-unity machines are possible, but until you actually build one, I have no reason to listen to you instead of the well-established science that tells me that they are not.

So until you come up with a framework for discussing this, it is firmly ensconced in science fiction. (And perhaps not a horrible idea for a story, either)

Wow swansont, I didn't even think of writing a book about this until now. I'll probably slap one together over the weekend. It's going to be called "Creatures of Imagination" with a subtitle of some sort.