Third Charge Apart From Positive and Negative?

Nicholas Kang

Yes, and we have such things, but they are not the charges associated with electromagnetic theory. For example we have colour charge in quantum chromodynamics and technically they are to do with the representations of the Lie group SU(3), which is the gauge group of QCD.

Just thinking about quarks we have red, green, and blue, and then antired, antigreen and antiblue for the antiquarks. Gluons take a mixture of two colour charges.

May I ask you one question? How to draw Feynman Diagram? How is it related to the Perturbation Theory?

This is getting technical...

You have to separate the action into a free piece and an interacting piece, do a little tick and then realise you can expand your action as a formal power series a bit like the Taylor expansion of exp. This is the basis of perturbation theory. You can then look at each term in your expansion and associate with it a Feynman diagram.

Interestingly, once you know the basic building blocks of the diagrams you can write your expansion in terms of diagrams only, but you should remember they correspond to terms in a formal series.

It has been a while since I actually did this for QED, but it was not too hard.

But it is too hard for me. Yet, I find this topic fun.

Scientist at the LHC keep on discovering new particles or more precisely elementary particles. Isn`t it sound crazy to continuously just stay at the ATLAS, CMS etc. just to play and run the particles to just collide and no more than that?

I have no idea of what this means:

You have to separate the action into a free piece and an interacting piece, do a little tick and then realise you can expand your action as a formal power series a bit like the Taylor expansion of exp. This is the basis of perturbation theory. You can then look at each term in your expansion and associate with it a Feynman diagram.

I am stupid. Can you please tell me more formally or somehow more clearly. Your analogy is confusing me. Sorry to say that.

Can you please tell me more formally or somehow more clearly. Your analogy is confusing me. Sorry to say that.

The best thing to do is pick up a book. I don't have the will or time to brush up on all the details and teach you. I am happy to direct you though.

Start with the Feynman rules for phi^4 theory and from there look at QED.

You could try Ryder's book.