Requirements for Physics

Rekkr

I'd really like to go to college and get a degree in physics. Can someone tell me what I should be doing now to prepare for that? I read up on science a lot, but in math I only do whatever is required in highschool (right now Geometry).

I read up on science a lot' date='

[/quote']

What have you read most recently?

but in math I only do whatever is required in highschool (right now Geometry).

You can do whatever you like with your spare time. My advice would be to take it upon yourself to start studying college algebra and trigonometry alongside your geometry. The beauty of this plan is that a full course in geometry is not a prerequisite for college alg+trig.

Assuming you get into college, there is nothing you have[/i'] to do right now. But in college, majoring in physics will require claculus and then differential equations, which requires algebra as a prerequisite.

Can the algebra requirement be satisfied by a HS level algebra course? If not, is there some exam you can take instead of spending a semester/year doing algebra? Should I study for such an exam before I reach college?

Can the algebra requirement be satisfied by a HS level algebra course?

If the high school course is either College Algebra and Trigonometry or Precalculus' date=' then yes. The latter would be preferable.

If not, is there some exam you can take instead of spending a semester/year doing algebra? Should I study for such an exam before I reach college?

I've never heard of anyone placing out of algebra in high school. It's not as if there are AP exams for that. But here's something you can do that many people I know have done. It will cost you a little money, but in the long run it will save you a lot of money (depending on how expensive your university is).

Do what I advised Rekkr to do: Study college algebra on your own. Then, go to your local community college and take the placement exam. If you know your stuff, you should place right into calculus. Just about any high school would allow you to substitute a community college course for their own courses (you have to pay for them, naturally).

I teach math at a community college, and this is a commonly used method of advancement. I have personally instructed 3 high school seniors who completed differential equations prior to starting college, using this route.

Can the algebra requirement be satisfied by a HS level algebra course? If not, is there some exam you can take instead of spending a semester/year doing algebra? Should I study for such an exam before I reach college?

I'll echo what Tom Mattson said - generally you do the algebra/trig/precalc in high school. Specifics will depend on the college to which you go, but I would expect their calculus classes to have a prerequisite of some precalculus class, satisfied by either a high school course or a college course. If you take it in college, it might be considered a "remedial" class and not count toward credits for e.g. a minor/major in math.