File Sharing

ed84c

file sharing is legal, however people use it for illegal purposes.... for example, i set up a file sharing network and share files which are not copyright, that's legal, however if you start sharing current games and other copyright things then it's illegal.

if you are supposed to pay for a serial key and you get one off the internet you almost certainly doing it illegally.

Actually, downloading copyright-applicable material falls through a loophole in the wording of copyright law. Providing it for download is a clear breach of that law.

If you are taking a serial for a trial package, whether or not the software company see that as theft will depend on the trial (for instance, if it's a closed public beta and you weren't invited, they'll just ignore you).

However if you are trying to acquire a key that will activate trial software as full version software (e.g. Macromedia products), it's fairly obvious you are stealing access to a licensed product.

Actually, downloading copyright-applicable material falls through a loophole in the wording of copyright law. Providing it for download is a clear breach of that law.

So you are saying that if you upload some copyright software onto the net and I download it - I am being legal and you are not?

(Although your use of that software without the proper license would be a separate crime, but that's irrelevant).

Most of the software was created for file sharing, which is legal unless people host copyright material.... therefore most file sharing software is legal. Just as CD-copying software is legal as it was intended for people to make working back-ups of CDs they own.

Most of the software was created for file sharing, which is legal unless people host copyright material.... therefore most file sharing software is legal. Just as CD-copying software is legal as it was intended for people to make working back-ups of CDs they own.

No, I meant if you transferred a software package from me (let's say Maya for the sake of argument), you'd not be breaking any laws. But if you used it without owning a license you clearly would be.

File transfer software is not illegal, nor is hosting files. What is illegal is:

i) Making copyright-applicable material available for distribution without permission, and

ii) Aiding and abetting such distribution.

It's (ii) that has allowed the RIAA and the MPAA to threaten torrent sites, which is why eXeem was designed to avoid the need for centralised trackers.

have they had any court cases regarding these?

Also what happens if u buy office e.g. of ebay' date=' but somebody elsse is using the serial?[/quote']

If you're buying software, make sure you get the license number and proof of purchase. Then refer to the vendor's web site for transfer of ownership instructions.

I'm not sure how good Microsoft are for that (but given that they are trying to stamp out pirated copies of windows, they are probably fairly good), but I know that Macromedia have recently re-structured their process to make it super great.

have they had any court cases regarding these?

A company offering a P2P music sharing service was told to shut down by some music company, it went to court.

The music P2P sharing software still exists because it is offering a legal service, the people using it are using it for illegal purpose, that is not their fault.

I forget the name, but if you really want to know google might have the answer somewhere.

safe disc and secur-rom are pretty easy to beat.

still they are the most common and the average off the street person cannot do it.

do you know how to bypass them without special software or a crack?

remember the knowlede is legal, practicing it on your own CDs for a back-up for you only is legal... using it to create a copy for a second user is illegal.

Another loop hole, especially for websites is a sort of disclaimor.

I've seen internet privacy act as well some "electronic communications privacy act."

All the objects on this computer are PRIVATE property because this is a private computer and it's NOT meant to be viewed or used in any other purposes. DO NOT use this server whatsoever! This computer is used as a PERSONAL STORAGE UTILITY, containing valuable information.

Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Secs.2510-2711 (1988) US Code as of: 01/26/98 CHAPTER 119 SECTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS 255. Prohibition of use as evidence of intercepted wire or oral communications Whenever any wire or oral communication has been intercepted, no part of the contents of such communication and no evidence derived there from may be received in evidence in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding in or before any court, grand jury, department, officer, agency, regulatory body, legislative committee, or other authority of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof if the disclosure of that information would be in violation of this chapter.

If you download any files off this server then YOU ARE VIOLATING the code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten my ISP(s)/host(s) or any other person(s) or company(ies) storing these files, cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this computer which includes family, friends or individual(s) who run or enter the computer, as you've VIOLATED THE LAW yourself.

I found that someware and thought it was pretty cool.

Question: would

If you are not over age 200 and drive a lime purple minivan, you may not entre this site, download anything etc
work? lol, pretty muhc like "You cannot use this site."

As a side note:

Substantial Non-infringing Use in Peer-to-Peer application

Im unsure to the Legality of file sharing, and also of getting the serial from a trial off the internet.

Ed im unsure of your motives here with this subject.Forgive me if im wrong,but if its a subtle way of enquiring if anyone here knows some good sites for serials or ways to crack win xp.Or worse file swap,im sure a Mod will tell you thats not on.

I dont mean to offend you,its just on past experience thats usually were the topic ends up.

I dont condone any illegal activity,if you like a program pay for it.Just because i have a vast knowledge and over 40 upto date programs as well as a a cracked xp,fully updated with service pk 2.Does not mean i will answer PM's

Nice to see you got the joke Deified,even though i can help on just about all programs and operating systems.I will not go against the wishes of the site owner.A PM at best would only get an email address,i will not conduct anything illegal on this forum.And i hope nobody else does.

I actually wouldnt mind having a cracked XP. I've looked around for a download but not very much. I dont like Windows that much.

Here is an example of where illegal becomes legal:

I have an emachines computer that came with windows XP. XP screwed over, Linux is a hell of alot better, wahtever. My plan was to dual boot with Linux and Windows because I had to reinstall XP and try Linux while I was at it. The restore CDs do not have a partition manager. I found out that Linux was alot better but I would still like to have XP because of a game I like playing.

The restore CD wants to format hda, which has all my Linux OSes.

So therefore, I cannot install Windows with out an actual XP CD (as opposed to emachines resotre CD). This would require downloading/cracking the operating system. Normally illegal but I have a license to it.

So it depends on some things as to whether or not its legal. Personally I dont really think I'll end up putting Windows back, but if I'm ever board I may find it. I'd love to have Microsoft call me up so I can explain how Windows sucks so bad I had to install Linux...and then how I'm about to overwright the XP partition with Sun Solaris (just to add a kick to the end of my story). lol, that would be great. I'd love to hear the response on the other end!

PS: Cracking Windows wouldn't really get you a phone call. Most things you can get by with if you know what you're doing...and most of the time even if you dont.