faced with a decision

Hades

I am almost through my junior year of college. When i was a freshman i had the desire to enter medical school. I knew of the road ahead back then, and it was what i expected. But as i went on and filled more med school requirements, i was exposed to other areas of science and saw they intrigued me more than the prospect of becoming the surgeon i wanted to be. There was a point last year when i focused no longer on the necessary pre-req's like a&p and instead invested more time into chemistry classes. The idea of doing drug discovery is fascinating. I had several discussions with my chemistry professors who, obviously, advocated graduate school in chemistry. Both medical school and graduate school will prevent me from becoming another nameless blue collar worker. i hope so at least. However, the problem i am faced with as i leave school in only two more semesters is what road should be taken. If i enter medical school, i am thus a slave for an additional 7 years.

The allure of graduating in chemistry is what im offered immediately after. I will have the option of becoming a bench chemist in the drug discovery branch of pfizer. (This also has as im told exponential room for growth) This money is nothing to write home about (considering ill still have to live at home with this salary). But starting off at $51,000 a year and then having my graduate school paid for in full is in itself an incentive. I suppose im being to verbose but i havent spoken to anyone about this that is a peer. It helps to hear comments from others who have some kind of experience with issues such as these. Thanks guys. good to be back to btw.

IMHO, the prime determining factor is "Will I be happy doing this job? Does the job itself make me happy?"

I know it sounds cliched, but it really is easy to wind up doing other things for "good reasons". I went into the wrong major in college, and wasted a lot of time on it for those "good reasons". Eventually I got sick of it, and switched to what truly made me happy: Biology. And I've never regretted it, even though I won't be making your salaray even after 10 years.

Money, difficulty, all of that can be managed if you're doing a job you truly love. If your heart is really in Chemistry, then go for it. You might not ever have a 30-room mansion, but if it's the field you love, you'll die with a smile on your face.

Or in a collossal explosion. But focus on the former. :P

Mokele

IMHO, the prime determining factor is "Will I be happy doing this job? Does the job itself make me happy?"

I agree here. Not to parrot what mokele said, but you have to go with what will make you the happiest, regardless of money. You are extremely fortunate to have arrived at the dilemma of whether to become a surgeon or a chemist with a pharmaceutical company. If you are more interested in chemistry, go for it.

the choice between the two comes down to the fact that i do not want, nor can i afford to wait 5 more years to receive a paycheck. Both will make me equally happy, as both incorporate a plethora of negatives, as a chemist: deadlines, protocols and fda audits, and as a surgeon: stress, and the feeling of losing a patient. i am a sensitive person in that respect.

Most grad schools will give you a tuition waiver and also a stipend to live on (usually with a TAship as a condition for that, though). I know mine has a stipend that, while not exactly rich, provides enough for me to live on with more than adequate comfort.

Mokele

Most grad schools will give you a tuition waiver and also a stipend to live on (usually with a TAship as a condition for that' date=' though). I know mine has a stipend that, while not exactly rich, provides enough for me to live on with more than adequate comfort.

Mokele[/quote']

yes, this also came up in my thoughts. i am told my current chem. professor was paid 29k a year for his services during grad school.