Reflecting an EMP

Camren

This is a shot in the dark because I've had no luck so far, but is there any material out there that will reflect or block and Electro-Magnetic Pulse? I'm not talking about a Faraday cage cause that just attracts and absorbs it. I need something that will block the pulse from going behind the break wire. If anyone can help me, that would be incredible. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Camren

My goal is to try and direct it, so if I completely surrounded it, it wouldn't really work. But could a conductive metal bowl work to at least keep the pulse from going back ward? And thanks for the info on the proper terms for the Faraday cage. That makes more sense.

My goal is to try and direct it, so if I completely surrounded it, it wouldn't really work. But could a conductive metal bowl work to at least keep the pulse from going back ward? And thanks for the info on the proper terms for the Faraday cage. That makes more sense.

Well i am very far from expert on this and I am sure someone will point that out soon but I see no reason why an EMP couldn't be directed, the US military does some interesting stuff with EMP already...

"break wire" : do you want to stop the electromagnetic field, in which case the Faraday cage is the answer, or the voltage spike induced in wires by the field?

Blocking the overvoltage is done much like a protection against lightning. Depending on how strong and near the pulse is, protection against an EMP can be more difficult than lightning. About all military equipment is designed to survive an EMP, so such protections are almost universal and rather well known - I suppose it's public knowledge in many countries.