Time Warps....

us.2u

Can this phenomena be taken seriously? or just dreamt up in the sci-fi world?

if this could be true would one defy the speed of light? I believe light is not the fastest thing we know of, because I believe I read that a certain black hole was swallowing in matter at speeds superceeding light; & the measure was almost equal (if craft could travel at that speed) from Earth... to Earths moon in 10 seconds; Wow! I thought, Please check this claim out I believe it to be true; so would time travel be eventually possible? what doe's everone think?...us.2u

i think it depends on your point of view...

presumably you would ask a physicist, to which they'd probably respond something like:

"living in this universe i believe that the laws of physics apply to me. as far as we know the laws of physics does not allow accelerated or decellerated time travel from the constant speed of 1 second per second and further more nothing travels faster than the speed of light"

i just made that up, it may be wrong, but that is what i think physics says on the matter.

Well if what I read is correct that this black hole was swallowing in matter at something like 10 times the speed of light, then MC2 is obviously not our ultimate equation is it? & wouldn't we be reaching beyond the realms of relativity? mind you having noted all this; God knows what any sciencetist uses.. to measure matter, faster than the speed of light? I'm no mathmatician but these seem to me; incredible claims if true... where do we go from here?

the first place we go is solid proof that this black hole exists.

maybe this (Black hole outburst looks 'faster than light'):

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/03/black.holes/

what you are talking????

if so, from the same article:

" "Initially the jets have been launched at a velocity close to the speed of light. Due to an optical illusion, the jet pointed toward us appeared to move faster than the speed of light," University of Paris astronomer Stephane Corbel said. "

it was an optical illusion and was not really FTL (faster than light).

if not can you please find a link to what you are talking about.

Perhaps if we knew what time fundamentally was, we would know whether you can have a time warp. ;)

As a small point, if we live in "Space-Time", then wouldn't the deformation of space also deform time? I don't see how one could be effected, but not the other. If this is the case then "time" near a large mass would be different from "time" in intergalactic space.

If that were true, then it would show that "time" could indeed be changed. That being shown, perhaps there would be conditions where a "time warp" would be possible?

I'm not advocating the idea, just following the thought.

Perhaps if we knew what time fundamentally was' date=' we would know whether you can have a time warp. ;)

As a small point, [b']if we live in "Space-Time", then wouldn't the deformation of space also deform time?[/b] I don't see how one could be effected, but not the other. If this is the case then "time" near a large mass would be different from "time" in intergalactic space.

If that were true, then it would show that "time" could indeed be changed. That being shown, perhaps there would be conditions where a "time warp" would be possible?

I'm not advocating the idea, just following the thought.

Don't you do this (immeasurably) every time you move (accelerate, decelerate, change direction)?

Don't you do this (immeasurably) every time you move

Didn't I answer that tomorrow? :D

Seriously, probably yes. I was thinking more of the "Steel ball on the rubber sheet" variety of deformations though.

Dear 5614 I will do my best to find the whole story of the black hole in question it will take me a while but please bear with me as I am adamant I will find this one; I realise there is nothing to talk about until I find it; thank you for your previous post about apparent speeds that seemed faster than light but this is not the story I read the one I read said if a spacecraft could travel from here to the moon it would take 10 seconds well let's wait until I can find the whole story..us.2u