Stone house on Mars....

Moontanman

Two pages out of this... amazing!

It is not a pile of rocks, it's a large rock with lost of cavities and the image is not recently taken by Curiosity, it was made by Spirit back in January 2006.

2P191002092EFFAMOAP2443R1M1.JPG
"Right Panoramic Camera Non-linearized Full frame EDR acquired on Sol 728 of Spirit's mission to Gusev Crater at approximately 14:24:06 Mars local solar time, camera commanded to use Filter 1 (436 nm). NASA/JPL/Cornell"
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/728/2P191002092EFFAMOAP2443R1M1.HTML

Here is an excerpt from a press release from around that time:

Sol732A_P2555_L257atc-A732R1_br.jpg
"In recent weeks, as NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit has driven through the basin south of "Husband Hill," it has been traversing mainly sand and dune deposits. This week, though, Spirit has been maneuvering along the edge of an arc-shaped feature called "Lorre Ridge" and has encountered some spectacular examples of basaltic rocks with striking textures. This panoramic camera (Pancam) image shows a group of boulders informally named "FuYi." These basaltic rocks were formed by volcanic processes and may be a primary constituent of Lorre Ridge and other interesting landforms in the basin.

Spirit first encountered basalts at its landing site two years ago, on a vast plain covered with solidified lava that appeared to have flowed across Gusev Crater. Later, basaltic rocks became rare as Spirit climbed Husband Hill. The basaltic rocks that Spirit is now seeing are interesting because they exhibit many small holes or vesicles, similar to some kinds of volcanic rocks on Earth. Vesicular rocks form when gas bubbles are trapped in lava flows and the rock solidifies around the bubbles. When the gas escapes, it leaves holes in the rock. The quantity of gas bubbles in rocks on Husband Hill varies considerably; some rocks have none and some, such as several here at FuYi, are downright frothy."
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20060127a.html

I did wonder why the pic wasn't a bit clearer, Curiosity is supposed to have all those super cameras and stuff...

Maybe it's just me, but if you look at the rock about a third down the picture on the left, does it not look like the one in question bot in shape and texture? One of two things is going on, either they are both just rocks, or martians are actually gnomes and the big one is a castle. Is that how they are so illusive?

They migrated from Venus when they found out about the red berries.

I get that distinct feeling you are humouring me!

If there were intelligent life ,even at a much lower yet intelligent order (say goat shaped but intelligent) and I found strange craft landing and roaming around. I might feel moved to build a structure that would give some indication of intelligence say a house or hut ! Perhaps for housing us goat Martians! Even though I lived underground.

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Yes, I was joking.

If there was any intelligent life on Mars close to our explorers and they wanted to give us "some indication" of themself, then I think it's more likely that they would come forward to make contact instead of hiding and building rock like structures on the horizon.

Even less intelligent creatures should be curious and cautious approach our explorers to examine them to determine their threat or value.

Yes, I was joking.

If there was any intelligent life on Mars close to our explorers and they wanted to give us "some indication" of themself, then I think it's more likely that they would come forward to make contact instead of hiding and building rock like structures on the horizon.

Even less intelligent creatures should be curious and cautious approach our explorers to examine them to determine their threat or value.

In the book Silver Locusts by R Heinman the martians were there invisibly. ! Good Story Good read.!