How to construct a hypothesis

too-open-minded

So as an amateur only working on a general associates degree, how would I go about trying to make a well constructed hypothesis and or publishable paper?

I'm guessing my first steps are to write a research paper?

This is the best advice on formatting that I have found - http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Research-Paper

Advice on how to do this? Please and thankyou!

I'm guessing my first steps are to write a research paper?

That tends to come after you have done most of the work. In my experience though, when writing a paper you find holes in your arguments, better ways to prove things, more examples and avenues to explore that you did not first see. The final draft of the paper is often a lot more involved than the first rough draft.

For more specific advice you need to tell us what area your research is in.

My research is in psychology and neurology or more specifically neurotherapy/neurofeedback.

I'm not expecting to write a research paper that will be written one time and be accepted because I think I'm right.I'm expecting to write a rough draft and have it ran through a crucible of people to point out the errors and flaws.

But yes my research is in psychology and neurology, I want to write a research paper and begin the path to developing my hypothesis. I have done a good bit of work, in the sense of educating myself in terminology, past research, and where/what these fields are working on today that I can contrast with my hypothesis.

basically I feel like I have all the information, I just need to know how to format and organize it for other people to read. I'm a very unorganized person so this is going to be a challenge lol.

Edited by too-open-minded

Well, as ajb mentioned, the paper is usually only interesting once you get a conclusion based on experiments, for example. Ending with a hypothesis will not get many people interested.

Developing an approach is slightly better and may fit into something akin to a grant application (though certainly does not merit a research paper). That requires highly specific sets of experiments being described.

Writing a research paper to develop the hypothesis is kind of backwards.

Well guys i'm an amateur, only in my first year of college and have no clue where to begin with this.

What direction should I go in? How do I start this off?

I've developed experiments but sadly I have no resources to conduct them :/

My best bet right now is finding similar experiments and arguing through gathered data, correlations, and logic. The way I see it. So where do I begin?

Edited by too-open-minded

Well i'm gonna go ahead and write a paper that has related experiments and data, facts, precise terminology, correlate all of that, and then project it into how my hypothesized experiments would produce their data.

Unless any of you can point me in a better direction, that's the first route I am going to take.

Figure out what you're testing --> research findings in that field --> see what experiments have been done with what variables --> figure out what variables you want to test --> Find ways to test that variable --> find the ways the variable has been tested before --> find better ways to test that variable --> figure out if those tests REALLY test that variable --> figure out the problems with the tests you plan --> attempt to solve problems with tests --> Repeat all that two or three times --> conduct tests (experiments) --> repeat experiments --> hope that the experiments find something significant (if not negative results still tell you something

Do you have any example papers or formatting that I could follow?

My suggestion is to pick the best paper you have read so far in the subject you are working on and follow that. You will of course develop your own style in due course.

Now, if you actually submit the paper for publication then there is usually some hard rules about formatting. The specific journal should supply you with a dummy paper.