Career options

Tridimity

Hi all,

Hoping that someone on here can provide some career advice, as I really don't know what to do. After graduating with my Bachelors, I have been working as a Research Technician, and now need a new job. What I want to do is to study for a PhD in cancer biology, but this is proving difficult and I do not yet have sufficient savings to self-fund a Masters, so at the moment I am making applications for the positions of PhD, Research Technician, Research Assistant and Science Teaching Assistant - I only included the last option in order to pacify the welfare people. I have been invited for interviews for each of the first three positions and have applications ongoing. The problem is that I have been invited to interview for the position of Higher Level Teaching Assistant at a Community College and don't know whether or not to attend. I do very much like the idea of teaching, of expanding young minds and showing children just how great it is to be involved in Science. However, the pay is not so good (£16,639) and it is a permanent position. I definitely do not want to stay just in teaching forever, although I would like to carry out both teaching and research, so ultimately I would want to return to research and study for a PhD (and possibly a Masters). I do not want to mess the College around - they may not wish to hire someone who will leave after a couple of years. On the one hand, this may be the best opportunity for work that I receive, on the other hand I might be successful if I keep on applying for PhDs. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I don't know what to do. Do you think that a period of teaching at this level for a couple of years would harm my chances of returning to research in the Higher Education sector?

First of all, I would go to every job interview, provided they are not connected to high expenses. If nothing else, it will give you interview experience. You can still decline the job should they choose you.

With regards to working in HE, the issue is that you will be looking at a faculty position and that is quite tricky. The success rate has been dropping more or less constantly and especially positions in research unis are hard to get. I am also not sure if a MSc will benefit you a lot. If you have already worked as technician your current degree may be sufficient if you want to get a technician/analyst.

For now, you are looking at a PhD position, but you should also expand your view beyond that and find alternatives to faculty jobs. You will have to look at the timeline, PhD will take you about 5 years I believe (I am not too familiar with the UK system) followed in the area of molecular bio with a postdoc for minimum of four, and upwards to 8 years . After that some may encourage you to find a different job. The chances of a faculty level position are around 10% by now, and there are very few permanent positions in academia that are research related.

My suggestion is the following: draw out a complete paths to potential careers, including private sector jobs. Build a timeline to see how long these steps take and check whether a few years of teaching would delay things by very much. I would urge you not to focus exclusively on a tenure position as the sole career choice because getting one of those almost boils down to a matter of luck.

Another thing, if you do not get into one of the top research unis, many teaching unis still allow for some research. Having teaching experience can help you get a job in one of those. However, teaching is not seen as a plus in the private sector (usually).

Thanks CharonY,

At the moment I am not thinking too far ahead (there's really no point, life is too unpredictable), and I don't necessarily expect that I would progress beyond post-doc level, the competition is too strong.

However, what I really want to know is: would teaching for a couple of years at Community College level be likely to hinder my chances of returning to research at a Higher Education institute - as a Research Technician or Assistant or Masters or PhD student? My worry is that some recruiters may regard time spent away from the bench as a lack of commitment to scientific research...

At the level of a technician that is not an issue. Depending on the system that may even open up more possibilities (including instructor positions), if the unis in your area have them. Research commitment at that level is not a biggie. Again, it is more an issue if you are going down towards the faculty route, but you are still far away from it.

The same goes towards being a student. It is not really a career at this point. You see, most people would just see grades at this point, maybe a letter of recommendation and that is about it (most PhD students barely know how to handle a pipettor). If you can demonstrate good abilities in teaching (e.g. an evaluation sheet) that could actually paint you in a more positive light than the majority of candidates.

Just to emphasize, technician, PhD and even postdoc are not really competitive positions (unless we talk about the high-flyer lab with weekly nature articles). There is little that can limit your chances there beside admission policies maybe.

Edit: with not-competitive I meant in comparison to real jobs.

Edited by CharonY

I think holding a job for a short period of time will not be held against you, if your reason for moving is a good one, such as a better opportunity. Although, as a teacher you should think twice about quitting mid term.

You can continue your education while teaching, either with a local university or an on-line institution. Thus, you can work towards a masters degree while teaching, and that may help you get into a PhD program.

Thanks EdEarl, yes I would definitely want to make sure that things were sorted before I left at the end of term and that a suitable replacement had been found and hired.

It may well be worth considering studying for a Masters part-time... the reason I keep putting it off is it would obliterate the monetary savings I have accumulated over the past few years... which is to say, I suppose, I am risk-averse (i.e. tight!) eyebrow.gif Thanks I will look into this smile.png