1. 1. Enterprise:cancelled

• Finally
    • NO!!!!!!!!!!, it can't be true. :(
    • So, who cares?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A character doesn't have to be human to be the subject of appallingly badly-handled writing' date=' and more often than not it's the aliens who become the subject of the human characters' "dilemmas" anyhow.

Count the number of condescending conversations between Archer and Phlox, or Archer and T'Pol. Or - oh my god - Archer teaching advanced alien societies how to be more like him. Even better, count the number of times Archer accuses an alien of being inhuman, or having values that differ from his own.

I am not sure what coming from the US has to do with racial apologetics, but I'd point out that Travis was raised on a deep space vessel.[/quote']

I noticed some of that, if I think about it.

how are are reed, hoshi, or travis portrayed as inferrior?

Notice I didn't actually say inferior.

Reed is portrayed as a Chocs Away! Brit from a family with a naval tradition. Even if the series were set in the present, that would be so anachronistic as to be a vintage notion.

He is also characterised as being the antagonistic, stuffy misery-guts who never has personal encounters, but goes to pieces when he does. This is a typical characterisation of a Brit for American tv, and it's just lazy writing. From Star Trek we expect better.

Hoshi, if you remeber, was a bag of nerves when the series started. They devoted whole plots to it, if you remember. Notably the "oh my god, I have such little faith in my ability to translate stuff. Everyone expects too much of me because they say we ASIANS! are a lot smarter than our caucasian counterparts."

You probably won't have noticed the inexplicably dismissive looks Archer occasionally gives her (I say Archer, and not Bakula, because I think it was directed that way.)

Travis is an odd one. Despite having more hours in space than anyone else on the crew, he is portrayed by the behaviour of the other characters as being tiresomely naive about the dangers of space travel. What's interesting about him is that his dialogue (and to a certain extent screen time) dropped sharply to NOTHING for long periods, as if nobody needed to hear from him.

basically, your post said the only reason for any of them to be nervous, solitary, or nieve, is race. as far as i can tell, the only connection to race was put there by you.

No, this is about stereotyping. You have successfully evaded the point by reversing the polarity of your deck plating.

No, this is about stereotyping. You have successfully evaded the point by reversing the polarity of your deck plating.

ok, 1st manned deep space exploration. everyone should be a little nervous.

hoshi didn't want to be there in the first place and she was used to earth languages which have cognates and similar patterns.

what is wrong with reed coming from a family of people in the navy?

travis could just be stupid.

what does any of that have to do with race or stereotyping?

Oh Jeez.

Because the associations are made implicitly in the various contrasts with the non-ethnic / non-minority characters. This is usually the product of (or, which is far worse, the premise for) a plot device or character arc.

Like I said, I think you would have difficulty spotting it as your media is literally saturated with it. In the UK we sometimes call it reverse or anti-prejudice, because it's going out of your way to point out that 'those wacky different folks' are just like you or me, despite their foibles.

Or you may well spot it, but not get why it's a problem for me. ;)