Argh! Ocd!

Nevermore

No expert here but maybe this will keep your thread in play. Increasing your serotonin level is thought to help OCD. Natural methods might involve supplements such as 5HTP or melatonin. Prescription methods involve SSRIs. I would certainly try supplements first.

If you mean by conquer it that you would apply some force of will I suspect this would be difficult. Try to force yourself to stop some activity or shift attention would probably only add to your stress level.

You don't say if you are self-diagnosed or not or how much you have educated yourself about your symptoms. Surprisingly a number of people with ADD are also OCD. See if you can find a support forum. While I don't have OCD myself -- despite compulsively surfing the net -- I have known enough people who have it to know you are not alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thekillers

I suffer from OCD and have done for a number of years now. There are things you can do to try and overcome the disorder, with varying degrees of success, depending on the person and severity of the disorder. Number one in the list of things you can try is medication. It has already been mentioned, but it needs to be emphasised as it can really help. Personally i am on prozac, which is one of the ssri's which are used to treat ocd and depression. Number two is therapy. I have seen a cognitive behavioural therapist for three years now, and they can offer alternate ways of thinking and show you ways to try and rationalise your thoughts. Trying to tackle it without one or both of the above recommendations i have made will most probably result in being unsuccessful. I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...