SFN to NASA proposal ?

Externet

Would it be possible for some of the well connected SFN members to propose NASA the implementation of a strobe light beacon on the International Space Station in such a way to project a cone of perhaps 20 degree colored strobing light downwards as to tell the world its presence overhead during night passes ? redface.gif

It would be very significant, on an insignificant power consumption and perhaps cost, or a harmless green pulsed laser instead.

I suggest such as the ISS is discernible to naked eyes with good vision. A light coming from it should be highly discernible too.

Would that harm any technological issues?, for the ISS just to tell us, the world... "We are over your head now!" "We are an IFO !" wink.png

Edited by Externet

The ISS has approximately 240 kW of electrical power. I am not sure they will get excited when you propose to install a light that used any more than just a fraction of that power.

However, I believe that aircraft strobe lights (which can at least be seen at 10 km distance, although perhaps not at 400 km), use in the order of 50 W of power (note: commercial link), which is negligible in comparison. If you would get some kick-ass 500 W strobe light (or if you just reduce the frequency of the flash in comparison to the frequency of aircraft), this idea is totally feasible, with regards to the power consumption.

Unfortunately, I have no connections to NASA. By the way, the ISS is operated by ESA and the Russians too.

Thanks.

Well, then, a kick-ass 500 W+ strobe lensed downwards, for a flash every 5? seconds when orbiting on the dark hemisphere. Or whatever is feasible.

Being NASA, ESA and the Russians, provide more doorways for the proposal. Someone here should have or know a connection... I hope. huh.png

Edited-added: Am willing to pay for one on this price range----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/500W-Studio-Lighting-Flash-Strobe-Kit-Photography-Light-Brand-New-/380712907314

(I do not believe the "free shipping" part to up there frown.gif ) Am sure cannot afford the installation fees nor let me do it myself unsure.png ...

Does the orbiting ISS faces always the same surface towards earth; or will it requiere a gyroscope mount ?

Edited by Externet