About the Science, Engineering & Technology Student of the Year awards

bemanos

The SET awards are held each year in london ,and i noticed that >95% of the winners are from uk universities.Why is that? In the entry section , they clearly say that students from all over europe can participate.So there are two possibilities.Either there is bias against non uk students or most of the participants are actually from the uk(which means that the competition is not well known in other Eu countries). I sent an email to the organization about this but they did not reply, so iam asking you for your opinion

I guess it is the former (I was a student in Germany years back and never heard of it). Then there is the question whether the time investment to going through the awards is worthwhile (for supervisor and student) and finally there may be travel cost involved (I guess).

If you are working around the corner so to say you may enter just because. If you are a flight or more away and the award is not substantial in a practical way one may rather want to spend time in the lab.