Hardness of the Elements. I need help to understand.

Emrys42

Between the Mohs, Brinell, Vickers, and all the other forms of hardness. Along with the lists of each not having every element I am having a real hard time determining the actual hardness of materials. I am designing a game which uses the periodic table to build everything and would like it to reflect the real world as much as possible. The two stats I am trying to figure out for elements it makes sense for(not gases etc) are Hit Points(hardness) and Damage Resistance(Yield Strength), while Yield Strength is not that difficult I am really having trouble with the Hardness. Does anyone have any suggestions(books, charts, or calculations)?

Game or not I would (respectfully) suggest that yield point is not a good indicator of damage resistance.

Two alternatives you might like to look up are 'engineering resilience' and 'fracture toughness'.

As regards to hardness, this only makes sense for solids. Many elements are not solid, and some do not I think form solids.

Hardness is a property of a molecule, not of each element, and varies with the crystal form, the heat treatment, the deformation... Carbon, sulphur, iron... have very different hardness depending ont their crystallographic state. So even for solid elements it's impossible to define one hardness.