Why is it always warmer after the summer solstice?

Fraoch

Hi everyone, first post. smile.png

On the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere, the sun is directed as far north as the Earth's tilt will allow. I would then assume that solar energy delivered to the northern hemisphere of the Earth would be at its peak on the summer solstice and dwindle slowly after the solstice - correct?

I would also assume this reduction in solar energy after the solstice is symmetrical, i.e. the rate it reduces is equal to the rate it increases before the solstice so that a graph of solar energy would be symmetrical around the peak at the summer solstice. So the solar energy the week before the solstice is exactly the same as the energy the week after the solstice - same for the month before/after, two months before/after, etc.

If that's the case, why is it always warmer after the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere? It's subjective but I'm sure climatological data would show that July is hotter than May and August is surely hotter than April.

Is it just that the Earth has heated up and is continuing to heat, albeit at a slower rate, after the solstice?

I notice the opposite effect in the winter solstice. Solar energy should then be at a minimum, but January is definitely colder than November and February is much much colder than October. The cause is even more confusing, it's like the Earth is continuing to cool but the solar energy should be increasing...wacko.png

Why is this?

Did I get something wrong?

Hope I didn't word this confusingly, thanks for any responses!