Everything relative to the earth...

Isn't it possible to view everything in the universe as relative to the earth? Like the sun going around the earth? ..

Certainly. And judging by your name you may be ideally suited. You will have to start speaking ancient Greek, wear a toga, never sully yourself with experimental data (so a future career in string theory is possible), own a couple of slaves and think the amphora merchant's wagon boy is rather pretty. Good luck.icon7.gif

No. The sun, the planets and the moon and stars, and the Earth, all move relative[/u'] to me. I'm fairly certain I am at the centre of the Universe. [/img]

It's Ok, Demosthenes, not everyone on this site is this rude. Jeez guys it's just a theory, don't discount so easily...hear the guy out.

Copernicous was a hated man in his day, but know where all kissing his ass, and wishing we could have been the ones to come up with his theories. So just relax a little.

ecoli. Read with your brain on this one, between the lines. In my first post I've pointed out that an Earth centred Universe is exactly what the Greeks envisaged. If I I make that openly, as a point to a poster calling themselves Demosthenes, that would be rude, so I reminded him of it with some weak humour.

In my second post I am pointing out that movment is relative. But also by making such a bizarre inflated claim that the Universe revolves around me I am agreeing with Demosthenes, and disagreeing:it is all relative!

If all else had failed the smiley at the end says.. "Friend, this is a light hearted reply".. It doesn't say 'there is a serious message there too, if you want to take it.' I leave that last to each reader to figure out for themselves.

Demosthenes - how were you reading my responses?

ecoli. I'll say it again. My responses were very serious answers formulated in comedic form. You may feel free to tell me my comedy stinks and my points are invalid, but please don't tell me I did not give a serious response. It is regrettable if the structure of my response was misinterpreted by you, but I am not going to abandon a range of styles that limit what I am trying to express because sometimes I miss the target.

The use of the smiley to convey lighthearteness I have deduced from observed usage on this forum..

Isn't it possible to view everything in the universe as relative to the earth? Like the sun going around the earth? I'm pretty sure there is a fatal flaw to my idea, but I just can't find it...

The earth is accelerating. The sun is not (in this little system anyway).

I really fail to see Ophiolite was being rude just a bit of light hearted banter between us astronomers & sciencetists & saying welcome Demosthenes. Well ecoli & Ophiolite you both offer a great deal & make great learning. Nice to hear from you Demosthenes I believe everything in this solar system doe's move with each other in a relative fashion, & we all have a relative interest in astronomy. I haven't heard of you before Demosthenes but I see you've made a lot of posts I'm looking forward to your next one & yes you are right everything in our system has a relativity......

I really fail to see Ophiolite was being rude just a bit of light hearted banter between us astronomers & sciencetists & saying welcome Demosthenes.

Why would say welcome? By the looks of things...he has over 850 posts and been here for a year already!

Why would say welcome? By the looks of things...he has over 850 posts and been here for a year already!

But he had been silent since August till he began reposting on 11th January, so he was new to us.2u and I.

Jakiri, a hypothetical question. If we had advanced technologically to where we are today, but had retained our Ptolemaic, earth centred view, would we have been able to have conducted the feats of space navigation that we have? I am presuming that without Copernicus shifting the centre to the sun we would not have had Kepler's insights and Newton would have failed to develop a theory of gravity. Could we still have established a mechanical description of orbital paths, replete with epicycles upon epicycles?

a hypothetical question. If we had advanced technologically to where we are today' date=' but had retained our Ptolemaic, earth centred view, would we have been able to have conducted the feats of space navigation that we have? I am presuming that without Copernicus shifting the centre to the sun we would not have had Kepler's insights and Newton would have failed to develop a theory of gravity. Could we still have established a mechanical description of orbital paths, replete with epicycles upon epicycles?[/quote']

Well epicycles worked. They gave good enough predictions for their users. Galileo introduced the idea that theories were true (in the ultimate sense) descriptions of reality - still it moves - (actually a very enigmatic phrase which is echoed in Newton's First Law). Making predictions about events was, prior to Galileo, simply a matter of constructing a useful hypothesis (not in the modern sense) to get the results. These hypotheses were neither true or false merely useful. QM seems to have travelled down this path much to Einstein's chagrin.

The earth is accelerating

that depends on which point of the orbit it is in!

as the earth moves away from the sun it will slow down, until gravity over-rides velocity (or momentum?) and the eath is pulled back towards the sun again for yet another year gone by! (well, almost, the eath would have to complete the orbit for the year, you know what i mean... i hope!)

that depends on which point of the orbit it is in!

as the earth moves away from the sun it will slow down' date=' until gravity over-rides velocity (or momentum?) and the eath is pulled back towards the sun again for yet another year gone by! [i'](well, almost, the eath would have to complete the orbit for the year, you know what i mean... i hope!)[/i]

It's still accelerating...just in the negative direction.

Well epicycles worked. .
I meant would some variant of epicycles have worked well enough for us to navigate spacecraft around the system. If 'yes', then Demosthenes original question can be answered as 'yes, we can still, for practical purposes imagine the sun goes round the Earth'. Or would the attempt at inter-planetary navigation finally have shown the fallacies in the Earth-centred view?

yes...in the negative direction

Only if you define the positive direction as being 'Away from the sun', which seems silly. The earth's speed, ignoring tidal effects, friction and other such minor interactions, will remain fairly consistent throughout the year, or at least have a consistent cycle.

No...I just called it that because it's accelerating in the opposite direction once the earth reaches the "other side" of the sun. Once it starts "coming back" to it's "starting" position. After it moves the furthest away before coming back.