Confusion

Soumya

CaptainPanic is right, you should ask the universities you are thinking of applying to. What I will say is that I know people who have degrees in chemistry who have completed a MSc in physics and a PhD, so it is possible.

It depends a lot on each individual university, what they accept and what not. As such, you should. as others have noted, ask universities that you are interested in for options.

I.e. there is no generalized path valid for all universities in the US or UK (at least none that I am aware of).

It's been a long time since I attended The University of Texas (USA), but I think the rules for being accepted into a school, rules for attending classes, and rules for earning degrees have not change greatly.

Masters and PhD level are different, of course. I know very little about getting a PhD.

Acceptance into a school is based on a standard test, for example GMAT for Masters in Business and GRE for most other masters degrees.

Once you are accepted to the school, you may take whatever classes are offered, if you have prerequisites for that class. If you do not have the prerequisites, you may enroll in the prerequisite classes. That you are a chemistry major does not prevent you from taking music or art classes, for example.

Once you have taken all the required classes for a masters degree, you can get it. Thus, an person with a BA in art history can get an MS in physics. It just takes hard work, time and money. Along the way, you might get an additional bachelors degree.

Thanks a lot for the info @CharonY and EdEarl ,and as i am trying for a masters in physics ,will i have to give Physics Subject test in GRE??Is it necessary at all??I mean some of my seniors studying in US said its not that necessary,so i am a bit confused.

Thanks a lot for the info @CharonY and EdEarl ,and as i am trying for a masters in physics ,will i have to give Physics Subject test in GRE??Is it necessary at all??I mean some of my seniors studying in US said its not that necessary,so i am a bit confused.

Each university establishes its entrance requirements. You should visit their web site to get specific information, and inquire via mail or phone call.