Memory Pill

brave_new_world

Seems that if it works and is relatively free of side effects then it's fine and progress marches on.

Our laboratory did some studies on ginkgo biloba a few years back. What we found was that rats given ginkgo biloba were able to leanr how to complete a maze in less sessions than those given placebo. Seems to work, unless it has horrendous side effects, I'm all for it.

dont sound very useful to me

I should imagine this would be used for government secrets . . . :cool:

I could do with the memory pill though. If something clicks it stays for time, but my recall . . . hopeless. Lucky to remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

The memory destroying pill could have tremendous implications for mental patients. Wouldn't people with post traumatic stress syndrome benefit from this. I suppose it would have to be very effective. If at some point in the distant future they are able to pinpoint memories and erase them, I certainly wouldn't mind being rid of some of the bad memories I have stored up inside.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems that if it works and is relatively free of side effects then it's fine and progress marches on.

Our laboratory did some studies on ginkgo biloba a few years back. What we found was that rats given ginkgo biloba were able to leanr how to complete a maze in less sessions than those given placebo. Seems to work' date=' unless it has horrendous side effects, I'm all for it.[/quote']

Why did you give a rat a placebo? :confused:

The memory destroying pill could have tremendous implications for mental patients. Wouldn't people with post traumatic stress syndrome benefit from this. I suppose it would have to be very effective. If at some point in the distant future they are able to pinpoint memories and erase them, I certainly wouldn't mind being rid of some of the bad memories I have stored up inside.

If behavior had already altered due to the traumatic event, wouldn't you just struggle with feelings that you could not attribute to anything? Sort of the equivalent of repressed memory in a pill.

If behavior had already altered due to the traumatic event, wouldn't you just struggle with feelings that you could not attribute to anything? Sort of the equivalent of repressed memory in a pill.

If the memory was gone I don't see any problem, unless they want to remember it.

If the memory was gone I don't see any problem, unless they want to remember it.

What I am getting at is that there are emotional consequences of traumatic events. For a person not to suffer those consequences they would have to take the wipe-out-memory pill immediately after the traumatic event. Otherwise they would experience emotions from the event perhaps and not know why.

I am not an expert on memory however but I have, in the course of work I have done, noted children who "repressed" memories of traumatic events but continued to suffer emotional damage. Would this mean that:

1. No memory can ever really be repressed and that it (memory of traumatic event) was available on some level?

2. A memory can be completely destroyed but still influence behavior because it caused reactions that are enforced by habit?

• 2 weeks later...

That would be of enormous benefit to rapists and armed robbers. Even figuring out how dispense insurance payments from car accidents requires witnesses.

Since I have enough trouble retaining my own memories (ADD) I have little sympathy for forgetting pills. Every morning I get up and feel incredibly grateful for Adderall -- the remembering pill. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...