Genetically repaired branch of a horticulture bush

vampares

I have bush outside of my garage door. My father planted it some years ago.

It is a horticultural "bush" for lack of a better term. It flowers. The most notable characteristic are the genetically damaged leaves.

If you have gamma correct, like NVidia settings it may help to see the photos.

I do this things hair up. So bent sticks are probably twisted hairdresser gardening. It was not pruned at the end of last year. Sorry about the darkness.

Branch in question is on your left. The offshoot rests on the large offshoot. It should be the one that extends farthest to the left.

dsc00452jg.jpg

dsc00429dw.jpg

dsc00434rx.jpg

dsc00436ldr.jpg

dsc00441ey.jpg

dsc00456hs.jpg

dsc00465oov.jpg

dsc00433mh.jpg

dsc00432us.jpg

dsc00439jz.jpg

The bush has one branch that is genetically different from the rest of the bush. I did not notice this last year. The only thing I know of that has been sprayed this year is some Prodiamine and some 2-4,D.

It is ordinarily a "test" subject for various chemicals to see if the chemical would harm plants. Two years ago I used potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, trisodium phosphate, zinc gluconate, SAMe.

Last year yeusts: the microorganism, S. boulardii. L-methionine, L-phenylalinine, the potassium.

I also sprayed a toothpaste sold in the UK. Sarakan. I believe it contains a plant extract that contains Phenylisothiocyanate which is also enlisted as the "Edmunds reagent". See Edman degradation. I use this in my microorganism releases. Primarily it smells nice and has been a boon. It also contains geranium extract which is precursor to squalene, precursor to sterols. Sort of like bug spray for retards.

It has also been sprayed at with copper in varying amounts, ammonia (this test yielded a negative effect on this plant in particular), b-vitamins, sand, rocks, borax...

The branch displays this genetic variation back to a node. Besides this branch the node has on it other branches which display the original genetic structure. This offshoot has been pruned many times. This node protrudes from what is probably the end of a pruning. Diane wacked the bush with a yard stick a few years ago. I have evidence that Diane wacked this node. The "wacking" appears to have attempted to heal itself. The wacking was still attached to the branch bunch in question.

Edited by vampares

More than likely the bush is a cultivar, a cultivated version of a wild variety, the branch you are talking about is most likely a part of the bush that has reverted back to it's original form. I say this because the rest of the bush has white edges on it's leaves that were probably selectively cultivated for. It's doubtful any physical or chemical damage caused this as cultivars routinely revert back to their original form and the original form branches should be trimmed away to maintain the cultivated look...

dsc00493j.jpg

I was thinking this should could be cut off. I am bias to leaving the remain intact.

Which aspect of genetic material do you think is altered in the cultivar? Is this an addition, subtraction, deletion, repeat.

How did it get repaired? Because this is a test bush, I check this thing on a daily basis. I even braid it. So I would have noticed this branch like a weed. Never seen it before.

I usually do not care for this plant because when it blooms it smells and gives me allergies. Last years bloom was not spectacular, barely there really. This side of the bush bloomed late. Late July or so. It was mild and seemed to be constrained by the braiding.

Edited by vampares

I was thinking this should could be cut off. I am bias to leaving the remain intact.

Which aspect of genetic material do you think is altered in the cultivar? Is this an addition, subtraction, deletion, repeat.

How did it get repaired? Because this is a test bush, I check this thing on a daily basis. I even braid it. So I would have noticed this branch like a weed. Never seen it before.

I usually do not care for this plant because when it blooms it smells and gives me allergies. Last years bloom was not spectacular, barely there really. This side of the bush bloomed late. Late July or so. It was mild and seemed to be constrained by the braiding.

I am not sure at all about how the genetics of this work but I have seen it happen in many plants. I am most familiar with cacti and I have seen various genetic defects manifest themselves in many ways. The cacti often seen for sale in plant stores that look like brightly colored cacti atop a green base is a mutation that lacks chlorophyll and has to be grafted to the green base for it to live. Crested cacti which are cacti that are mutated in such a way that the plant grows in a twisted or otherwise unusual way and can suddenly start growing back in the original way for no apparent reason.

I have seen it happen in many plants.

When it happens does it happen just on a single branch or is it more sporadic?

I am considering that DNA was transfered by pollination and was then assimilated into the plant. This would have some broad reaching implications if DNA could jump into a plant.

I was actually mistaken the node is not the start of DNA alteration.

The DNA correction starts just after the node of the branch. There are two or three mutant off shoot just after the node.

This offshoot is mutant on one side but not on the reciprocal side of the branch.

dsc00013croplevels.jpg

This is the node of the branch which a mutant offshoot on it. Again it has a mutant but now after this a non-mutant.

dsc00016croplevels.jpg