Should I do an undergraduate thesis???

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering major, but have strong side interest in particle physics and cosmology. I recently emailed a professor at my university inquiring about any open positions he may have in his lab. His research is specifically in high-energy particle and cosmology. In his response, he stated that he would like to meet with me, but generally takes on students who are interested in doing a thesis. Although this is something that interests me, I am wondering if it would be worth my time as a Mechanical Engineering major to write a thesis in a seemingly unrelated field. I am extremely interested in furthering my education in graduate school and would like to do something that focuses on physics while I am there.

My question is: Would it be worth my time as a Mechanical Engineering student to work in this professor's lab and write a thesis in the field of high-energy particle physics and cosmology?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Edited by AstroPhysics Enthusiast

If you desire an interdisciplinary approach to furthering your education, thus allowing a synthesis of skills in order to accomplish goals related to mechanical engineering AND high-energy particle and cosmology research, then I would suggest that you go for it. However, a thesis will take time. Otherwise, if you really do not plan on involving yourself with high-energy particle and cosmology research in the future, thus the synthesis of skills is unnecessary, then I would advice against it, as your time will be valuable to finishing your education.

Then again, the work involved in the research may not be ridiculous. As such, inquire more into the position and ask yourself if you can meet the demands.

Edited by Genecks

There could be advantages independent on the topic, depending on what the thesis entails. Especially practical work could be beneficial, but also learning different methodologies. Especially as an undergrad one is less exposed to doing actual science. If the thesis would be mostly busywork, it is probably less ideal of a time investment.