HELP! Grade 7 insulation project

CookieMonster123

Hi! So I really need help with a science project that is due on Thursday. Basically, the teacher will first be putting boiling hot water to see who can keep the hottest temperature and then an ice cube to see who can keep it "alive" for the longest time, I think she will be keeping each for 15 minutes. So basically we have to make an insulator. My idea is to wrap a Styrofoam cup in aluminum foil and then insert that cup into another styrofoam cup and cover the top part with Silicone caulking.

PLEASE HELP MEEEE

Much appreciation,

Cookie Monster

Your idea should work okay. After all, I think this "contest" is more about learning about insulation than actually winning. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

There are a few things that are excellent when it comes to insulation. Vacuum being the undisputed winner. Now, you might have some issues creating a vacuum for your project, so the second best thing would actually be air. Glass is also pretty good.

Now, combining the above, I'd suggest you take a small glass container of some kind, preferably one with some kind of edge on top, and put it in a bigger glass container, without their walls touching. Ideally, you want the edge of the small container to rest on the top of the bigger one. This way, the air between the glasses will act as an insulator, and most of the heat will dissipate from the top. So then you'd need a good lid, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.