Physics of an amazing magic trick

CasualKilla

Hey guys, hopefully this is in the correct section.

I am trying to anylise this trick to see if it is actually humanly possible.

I need to know the internal pressure on of these glass bottles and handle, and also the maximum pressure a human can generate with their mouth / lungs.

Thankyou in advance gents.

Your lungs are only capable of creating pressure differences of about 0.2 bar. It was pretty difficult to find a good source actually... all I found was this.

A glass bottle has to withstand pressures in the range of several bars, because of the CO2 in the drink.

So, this has to be a trick. But it is a pretty good one! Nice smile.png

I guess that the older guy was in it too: that bottle might have been prepared before the trick.

I guess that the older guy was in it too: that bottle might have been prepared before the trick.

They both have noise cancelling microphones under their shirts (the younger guy taps his at 0:49), so that supports the hypothesis that the older guy is in on it. It could be that he agreed to be miked but it shows it's not just a random guy the performer walked up to.

There's also a suspicious jump cut at about 0:33. Definitely some editing there, and completely unnecessary if the guy could really do this within the time he seems to. The camera is obviously repositioned at that point.

Dynamo is a magician, there is no physics behind it, it's a trick.

_or there are 2 cameras, or the whole stuff is a montage of 2 shoots. You can see that from the first seconds, from 0:09 to 0:10

_the local has his arms upon his belly at 0:28 and at 0:33 has his hands in the pocket.

If there are 2 shoots, there is no possible surprise: it is theatre.

-------------------

Maybe they used one of these fake sugar bottles they use in movies to smash over each others head, with just some water in the bottom, or simply pre-heated. Notice that the bottom of the bottle not only broke away from the bottle but fall into pieces.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

After doing a bit of reseach, I found that the Bologna (google it) phenomenon explains this very well. A Bologna bottle can be use to hammer a nail into a tree, but as soon as even a small crack develops INSIDE the bottle (normally created by droping any sharpish object inside the bottle) it shatters immediately.

I beleive the bottle was treated to create this affect. He most probably spat something transparent into the bottle, notice you can hear him blowing air over the bottle instead of applying a pressure difference. I beleive he does this to build up air velocity to spit the object faster (try to spit something into a bottle without doing this, its hard to spit with any force at all).

It seems this "trick" get sold for $99 as goes by the name "the devil's bottle", magicians really swindle each other don't they?

For those who don't wanna google it, it simply works by queching the inside of the bottle, while allowing the outside to cool much more slowly, and then annealing the outside to make it even more crack resistant. The quenched inside will then shatter apart even for almost microscopic cracks due to the large residual stresses from the rapid cooling process.