Why does sound travel at a different speed through different gasses?

Ceasium

Hey,

I am currently studying for my physics exam, but this has nothing to do with my homework. Whilst learning I was wondering why sound travels at different speeds through different gasses.

At 273 K all the gasses have + - the same amount of molecules per m3. So in my 'logic' thinking the molecules would pass on the waves at the same speed, because of the same molecule density. But apparently this is not the case.

T= 273K

Speed of sound through:

Helium: 0.965 * 103 m*s-1

CO2: 0.259 * 103 m*s-1

Air : 0.332 * 103 m*s-1

I could not get a nice answer with google, so could someone properly explain to me why sound does this?

Hey,

I am currently studying for my physics exam, but this has nothing to do with my homework. Whilst learning I was wondering why sound travels at different speeds through different gasses.

At 273 K all the gasses have + - the same amount of molecules per m3. So in my 'logic' thinking the molecules would pass on the waves at the same speed, because of the same molecule density. But apparently this is not the case.

T= 273K

Speed of sound through:

Helium: 0.965 * 103 m*s-1

CO2: 0.259 * 103 m*s-1

Air : 0.332 * 103 m*s-1

I could not get a nice answer with google, so could someone properly explain to me why sound does this?

Thanks smile.png

Is it a difference of the molecular kinetic energy when a gas density is varied?

The speed seems to decrease exponentially when the gas becomes heavier per m3. So I can conclude that this has to do with inertia -The heavier the gas the more 'slowly' the molecules bump into each other, and the sound travels more slowly. Is this the right conclusion?

Can I state as well that the Ekin of sound is the same in every gass?

Ekin= 1/2 * m * v2 .

Edit : - Thanks Alpha & Swansont

Edited by Ceasium

When the gas density varies, the kinetic energy is changed differently.

At the high temperature the kinetic energy is largely changed with the gas density variation.

Low molecular interacting gas or low molecular weight gas also have the large kinetic energy change with the gas density veriation.

Momentum is conserved (basic principle) - a sound wave is a transferal of momentum, and in a gas (to reasonable approximation) there are no inter-molecular bonds to carry any of it - the only transfer is massXvelocity at successive impacts. So lighter gas molecules have to move faster or collide more often to transfer a given amount of momentum.

Thanks for all the info, I now understand how the energy transfer works with gas molecules :).

How does sound transfer work on solids? They have no way in which they can move around like in a gas or liquid.

Also does it work in the same way as in a liquid?

Thanks for the diagrams alpha, they were very helpful for me smile.png

Now math made me think about sound. I've learned about Mollweide's formula's a couple of days ago. Imagine yourself having a setup like this: Two Identical speakers, distance x apart, playing the same tone in HZ*s-1 so that there are some lines in the room where the sound is amplified, and some lines where the strenght of the sound is decreased. If you know the ladba, temperature frequency etc. could you calculate how much db the sound is increased or decreased? And if so could anyone show me an example of how this is done, so that I can do it for myself in the future?