Speed Of Time On Mars Relative To That On Earth

grandlear

I am curious to know what the rate of time on Mars is with that of Earth time. So, for example, if the Curiosity rover were able to flash a strobe of light powerful enough for us on Earth to see it, and the rate of the strobe is 1000ms (according to Spacecraft Event Time...which in this case would be Mars Time), would that strobe of light appear faster or slower than 1000ms Earth time to an observer on Earth?

I didn't quite know how to search for my question on Google, because the answers that I received were along the lines of offset time (if it is 1pm Eastern time on Earth, what time is it on Mars for the Curiosity rover).

Also, is it possible to calculate this speed of Mars time given gravity, the mass of Mars, rotational speed, etc? Or is it only possible if we have access to something on Mars that could perform the speed test (such as the transmission of data from the Curiosity rover)?

Don't forget Sun's gravitation well nor the planet's orbital speed. More important than the diurnal rotation.

Orbital speed: Earth=29.8km/s Mars=24.1km/s

Escape velocity: Earth=11.2km/s Mars=5.0km/s

With these speeds, which also characterize the gravitation wells, you have all important contributions provided you don't mess it up... Of course, Doppler effect would exceed by far the relativistic corrections, so any experiment should correct it, say by a smart bidirectional measure.