Deja Vu

SomethingToPonder

We can rule out that hypothesis because of the hundreds of dreams I made a record of, and of the many de ja vu experiences afterwards, none of them actually correlated with a dream.

The claim that it is possible to see into the future in our dreams is an extraordinary claim which would require extraordinary evidence.

Whereas disturbances within the sensory and memory parts of the brain is far more likely, and in some cases can be demonstrated.

But as i said, I have had hundreds of dreams Not one of them was ever a deja vu one.

it's not like you wake up and have had this vision in your sleep.

it is the exact opposite, In fact you dont even know you'v had the dream until something triggers it as i said before.

just because you documented dreams that you remembered when you woke up, does not mean that those were the particular ones that would have caused deja vu.So would have absolutely no scientific position whatsoever and would only be used as possible notes and for your own interest.

you said it yourself you have had deja vu since then, And in your deja vu, do you "know" what will happen next? Or is it just a familiar feeling?

every single one of my deja vu experiences i have remembered as a dream, and it isn't my brain registering things i see as memory's straight away.

First of all, im not claiming that we can all see the future in our dreams, That sounds insane, It could only be a select few of us and we don't "see" the future until it happens, which at that moment it becomes the present, and you have about 10 seconds worth of "knowing" and you do just know what will happen etc as you have seen it before.

And Second , of course saying that a small group of people who do experience this have a disorder or are delusional ;makes more sense than "people can see the future in their dreams" but we as a society have a duty to at least follow this up.

Im asking how could we scientifically back it up? because i KNOW this is true, But without proof is useless because im more likely to be locked up for talking about it than helped.

and philosophically if it was true , why would it be?

Edited by SomethingToPonder

I have dejavu a lot and I mean sence I was little and it used to scare the shit out of me then. I remember I had a nightmare that haunted me till I was about 12-13.. at that age I realized it was a nightmare BC I wasn't sleeping..I was awake it it was actually feelings my brain was putting images to that made no sence and it scared me I didn't get them for a very long time but just normal dejavu was always in my life..Then I had a traumatic experience when I was in jail for 8 months. That's when I realized dejavu and the "nightmares" when I was awake started happening constantly throughout my time and other mental break downs way beyond that.But it makes me want to ask you are you sure its from a dream and not just a mental hickup of some sort that your brain can only recanize as from a dream or dream state of mind. Hell It could be just that other part of your brain that fired up and then stopped and your brain could only see it as something that happened before just like that. And you assume its from a dream or Somthing. But really its not wat you see or hear but its the feeling of dejavu that drives those connections and it maybe just or brains making our untaped part of our brain concus

I'm trying to type on a phone and it sucks I think you see were I was going with that reply though

It could only be a select few of us and we don't "see" the future until it happens, which at that moment it becomes the present, and you have about 10 seconds worth of "knowing" and you do just know what will happen etc as you have seen it before.

I think this is far more common than you may realize. The group of people who have this experience is not terribly small. Many of us have experienced it.

Im asking how could we scientifically back it up?

As has been shared with you already above, you would need to write down every single dream you ever have in extreme detail. You would then need to catalog every single event you have while awake, and you would need to correlate the two... You would need to review the details of your waking life against the details of your dream life and determine if these deju vu experiences truly do tie back to a dream you had in the past.

It's not terribly likely that this would be the case, but that's how you would test it. Show with precision that it happens at a rate more than would be expected by chance alone. While doing so, maintain focus on Occam's razor and how the simplest explanations tend more often to be correct more often than the convoluted ones.

because i KNOW this is true

I encourage caution here. You DON'T know this is true. You BELIEVE it is true. You FEEL it is true. You SUSPECT it is true, but you most certainly do not KNOW this is true. In science, we look at the data and see where it leads us... regardless of where that is. It's a bad idea to start with a conclusion and then seek only information that supports it while ignoring all of the data that does not.

I've looked into this topic a considerable amount, and my own opinion is that the most likely explanation is there is an encoding error where real-time experience is mistakenly connected to long-term memory instead going through the normal short-term memory potentiation process.

Deja vu to my understanding is a change in your time line. Everyones time line is already writen down and we are the memory.

Think of your self 5, 10, 20 or whatever years ago and now, its only a fraction of a second that time has already gone by. Or like a dream it felt like a long time but it was only a few minutes.

Under way of looking at it, is like a film. The film only works if you create it to move.

So there for deja vu is cause when you made change to your time line or it is also possible that someone else change it. Like a straight line you can change that line by adding a different line or path and when you make that change thats when you get that deja vu that is the start of that new line. I also believe that when the line is created everything else creates it self with it.

The last thing I like to say is that dreams are also just another memory from a different time line. All of this time line is already been writen, we are the memory and we choose which time line we like to be in.

I have dejavu a lot and I mean sence I was little and it used to scare the shit out of me then. I remember I had a nightmare that haunted me till I was about 12-13.. at that age I realized it was a nightmare BC I wasn't sleeping..I was awake it it was actually feelings my brain was putting images to that made no sence and it scared me I didn't get them for a very long time but just normal dejavu was always in my life.. Then I had a traumatic experience when I was in jail for 8 months. That's when I realized dejavu and the "nightmares" when I was awake started happening constantly throughout my time and other mental break downs way beyond that. But it makes me want to ask you are you sure its from a dream and not just a mental hickup of some sort that your brain can only recanize as from a dream or dream state of mind. Hell It could be just that other part of your brain that fired up and then stopped and your brain could only see it as something that happened before just like that. And you assume its from a dream or Somthing. But really its not wat you see or hear but its the feeling of dejavu that drives those connections and it maybe just or brains making our untaped part of our brain concus

I'm trying to type on a phone and it sucks I think you see were I was going with that reply though

Hi mate, thanks for the input, I am certain it is from a dream, lets say you wake up and remember a normal dream, you KNOW its a dream and not real, then go back to sleep or get up whatever.

it feels the same way once it hits you, You just know t was a dream,im certain of it.

all the best

I think this is far more common than you may realize. The group of people who have this experience is not terribly small. Many of us have experienced it.

As has been shared with you already above, you would need to write down every single dream you ever have in extreme detail. You would then need to catalog every single event you have while awake, and you would need to correlate the two... You would need to review the details of your waking life against the details of your dream life and determine if these deju vu experiences truly do tie back to a dream you had in the past.

It's not terribly likely that this would be the case, but that's how you would test it. Show with precision that it happens at a rate more than would be expected by chance alone. While doing so, maintain focus on Occam's razor and how the simplest explanations tend more often to be correct more often than the convoluted ones.

I encourage caution here. You DON'T know this is true. You BELIEVE it is true. You FEEL it is true. You SUSPECT it is true, but you most certainly do not KNOW this is true. In science, we look at the data and see where it leads us... regardless of where that is. It's a bad idea to start with a conclusion and then seek only information that supports it while ignoring all of the data that does not.

I've looked into this topic a considerable amount, and my own opinion is that the most likely explanation is there is an encoding error where real-time experience is mistakenly connected to long-term memory instead going through the normal short-term memory potentiation process.

you are right, There is quite a big group of people who have experienced it, But that would point in the direction of time being pre-written or on a loop , and when people get deja vu it is classed as not seeing the future but as an encoding error as you said so it is widely dismissed and not investigated in detail.

Ok well i will start writing dreams down from now, But there is no way i can remember many dreams i have had, i can remember a few sure, But nowhere near them all, so to be accurate il start from now. The main flaw in this that i see is that, I NEVER remember the dreams when i wake up, it's only when something happens that i remember them, and know that it was a dream. And so all the dreams i would remember would not make any difference as they are not the dreams that "contain" the deja vu moments, (sorry hard to explain) I shall try though just for the sake of it.

Inow you are completely right, Id like to take back me saying that i was CERTAIN, Of course i couldn't be certain.and you are right , I suspect , and i am sure in my own mind, But of course i cant be 100% sure, That wouldn't be scientifically right. and i have been looking at a very very wide range of research. And you are right again you should never start with a conclusion and only look for data that supports it, you will never get anywhere that way, I apologize if i came across that way, However if you do some research which i think you already have, most of the information does basically say , (much shortened of course) Your brain is playing tricks on you, and there is no way to prove it to anyone yet that i know, But i am Sure that it comes from a dream. My theory on why this is, Is because nobody wants to believe people can "see the future in their dreams" which is not the case.

just out of interest, lets say i managed to conclude that i was right, i presented my findings and you and many other people agreed with the research.

What would that point to ? Any ideas? Im looking at this from a purely philosophical point of view, Im sure you understand i am already pretty certain that im right, Not sure, but pretty convinced as it's been happening since i was young. So what do you think it would mean if i was right?

inow thanks again for your constant input mate

Deja vu to my understanding is a change in your time line. Everyones time line is already writen down and we are the memory.

Think of your self 5, 10, 20 or whatever years ago and now, its only a fraction of a second that time has already gone by. Or like a dream it felt like a long time but it was only a few minutes.

Under way of looking at it, is like a film. The film only works if you create it to move.

So there for deja vu is cause when you made change to your time line or it is also possible that someone else change it. Like a straight line you can change that line by adding a different line or path and when you make that change thats when you get that deja vu that is the start of that new line. I also believe that when the line is created everything else creates it self with it.

The last thing I like to say is that dreams are also just another memory from a different time line. All of this time line is already been writen, we are the memory and we choose which time line we like to be in.

Interesting, may i ask how you came to believe this ?

just out of interest, lets say i managed to conclude that i was right, i presented my findings and you and many other people agreed with the research.

What would that point to ?

If that happened, it would likely point to a fundamental flaw in our current understanding of physics and our models of the universe.

everyone I have been reading a book "surely you're joking mr Feynman,
and If anyone can get a copy or read it online somewhere it's strongly recommended.
Now Pages 46-52. he talks about watching himself go into a sleep and makes observations in order to do a study for his philosophy paper,(although he continued to practice this after the pape was handed in) He manages to conclude that thoughts become more and more random until finaly the brain switches off. it's hard to explain but the writer makes a marvelous job.

I noticed on page 52 he talks about Just knowing as well.
for those of you who dont know, Richard Feynman won the nobel prize for physics in 1965. He was truly a great man and i think i will do some more research into him. Inspiring.
let me know if you check it out.

Edited by SomethingToPonder