Distilling Water At Home

Silencer

I need to purify some water, but I don't have one of those fancy moonshiner gadgets. I was wondering what you guys use to distill things.

Would a clean cup-at-a-time coffee maker distill the water well, since it heats the water to steam which then condenses and drips through your coffee?

"a simple way of doing it would be to just boil some water in a container with a makeshift top that filters all the gas evolved into a tube leading to another sealed beaker surrounded with ice"

Yeah, this method is especially good in winter time. :) Unless you live in a hot country, that is. :P

yup, pure H2O :)

I used to go into petrol stations and buy the stuff to drink when I went on long walks (sometimes days on end). it`s just PURE water, nothing else, although you DO get strange looks whilst drinking it from some folks that actualy think it`s Battery Acid! LOL :))

"although you DO get strange looks whilst drinking it from some folks that actualy think it`s Battery Acid! LOL :))"

You didn't bother putting it into another container? :D And no wonder, when I looked at it, I just saw it had something to do with batteries, and thought I had finally found even some kind of source of sulfuric acid, but no. Pure water is good for experiments too though, it's just not going to corrode pine tables or anything. :(

no I didn`t bother puting it in another bottle, I just drank it whilst walking down the road on many an occasion.

oh yeah! you`ll not be allowed into Night clubs or Raves with it either!

talk about un-educated grunts serving the door! :((

I can imagine the look on people's faces when they see someone drinking from a container which is the type one might normally keep motor oil/similar in. :)

- Oh dear Richard, there goes that awful motor oil drinking man from Birmingham!

- Yeah, let's call an ambulance.

I`ve done it once with reagent grade HCl with my Lab colegues, I got more that a fiver though and I DID drink all 100ml of it :)

CAPS LOCK ON... DO NOT! TRY THIS AT HOME , I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING AND IT WAS PERFECTLY SAFE, MEASURED AND CALCULATED PRIOR TO THIS!

they just didn`t know I`de worked it out prior :)

i was always told that water above certain purity is actually not healthy for you as it hardly contains any ions, which your body need.

You promote osmosis as all the salt in your body want to contaminate the pure water you just drank therefore depleting cells of essential salts.

I remember tasting HCl too. An about 10% solution though, which is about the same as in your stomach. :P

"i was always told that water above certain purity is actually not healthy for you as it hardly contains any ions, which your body need."

Yeah, that's probably quite right. But if you're bacterophobic (or whatever the word is), you might want to drink the distilled water. :>

Yes, but if you drink enough water of any kind you will deplete ions and vitamins from your body which will make you ill. (It will cause you to cramp up as you remove all the K+ ions). On a volume for volume basis, distilled water will accomplish this a bit quicker.

That's why I always laugh at people who are working out or doing a lot of running and drinking gallons of water. Sure enough, a short while later they start getting a ton of muscle cramps because of all the water they've been drinking. lol.

That's why I always laugh at people who are working out or doing a lot of running and drinking gallons of water. Sure enough, a short while later they start getting a ton of muscle cramps because of all the water they've been drinking. lol.

Thats why I only drink enough water to wet my throat when working out.