The Iraq Ultimatum

fafalone

How do you feel about US President Bush's ultimatum to Iraq?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you feel about US President Bush's ultimatum to Iraq?

• Iraq should be given more time.
    • L'Irak devrait avoir le temps illimité.
    • Given Iraq's record, the ultimatum is fair.
    • This should have happened months ago.
    • I really don't care.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you have proof. maybe you should have told Dr Blix.

Furthermore, regarding Bush`s statement, I feel that none of the options really express my feelings about it. Bush, unfortunately for someone of his position, is a cretinous idiot, with absolutely no concept of foreign policy whatsoever. This whole issue has been delt with completely inappropriately. Whether saddam has WOMD or not, this does not make him a threat, however stirring the hornets nest like this stands a very real chance of causing major, and long lasting problems. A superpower America may be, but the biggest peace time atrocity against your country was carried out by nothing more than men with knives. and there are plenty more men with knives where they came from, perhaps now even more determined to spill blood in revenge for their fallen brothers.

I can only hope now that for the sake of humanity, that this war is over quickly and efficiently, with as little loss of human lives as is possible, and that indeed Saddam`s brutal regieme is ousted and, at the very least, a more liberal fairer order put in its place. This still does not mean that I support the current fallacious arguments that are being put forward by the Bush administration, in order to distract from the real problems in the world, both externally to the US, such as Israel, and internally, such as Bush`s economic principles, which state that it is possible to cut tax AND spending, putting the US a trillion dollars into the red, provided everyone is looking at Iraq while you do it.

Furthermore I find it somewhat Ironic that he intends to impose a free and democratic state on the Iraqi people, when the decision to go to war itself was not democratic. Perhaps he will apply his newfound love for unilateral action to internal US politics, in abandoning the constitution, elections, and other such inconveniences, and imposing his own unilateral rule over the will of the American people, much as he does in the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

I assume you have proof. maybe you should have told Dr Blix.

You're forgetting the point of 1441; Iraq was required to actively cooperate to prove it had disarmed, and there is no proof that it has disarmed.

Apparently over a decade isn't enough time to disarm? Ok.

Fafalone, read what I say....

resolution 1441 was a farce all along, and no justification for war at all.

I don't care whether saddam has WOMD or not, and I can provide equally good argument against going to war based on some unsubstantiated hunch that he might have them just because he used to have them in the past.

To get involved into this disuccsion myself: Such a discery would change my attitude towards war. Of course, this would be evidence for Hussein's lying, I do not disagree with that. But war is - as I see it - never a solution, unless a country is attacked and has defend itself.

By the way, why have only so few people voted above? Come on...

Originally posted by Sayonara³

Because not everyone is impressed with the absence of certain options from the poll.

I am not either, as I stated above, but I used the one closest to my option...

Originally posted by fafalone

What other options are there?

Either you think Iraq should have more than 12 years to disarm, or you support an ultimatum.

I stated one... see my post on top...

That's another problem (embarrassing to admit). I mean, I had French for two years, afterwards I had to give it up, I did not mind. I don't really like that language (Latin and English are much better), so I don't know for sure what it means...:dunno:

12 years is of course a long time. But why bother after 12 years? I mean Hussein throw the inspectors out of the country some years ago (somewhen in the late 90s, right?) That's quite a long time ago as well. Why attacking Iraq now and accusing them of not having disarming, why not then?