Linear momentum not conserved, an example

Semjase

I think it's time for our civilization to grow up and face the

reality that they may be other advanced civilizations

in this universe.You sound you come from the pages of

Project Blue Book, the days of UFO hysteria are a thing of

the past.

Arthur C. Clarke has a pertinent quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

I am with ajb, I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many scientist that will argue against the likelihood of life outside this planet. Just the sheer number of stars that are out there, with what we expect to be numerous planets around them, there are many, many Earth-like planets out there. There is virtually no doubt that there is life on these other planets, in terms of algae, bacteria, etc. What isn't knows as well is how likely these turn into higher life forms, and then into intelligent life. That said, the law of large numbers (again large number of planets) seem to say that we aren't unique.

But, I am also with ajb in that your 'evidence' presented to date is almost comical. Grainy videos and eyewitness testimonies are insufficient. I'm sorry, but they just aren't. And certainly not enough to claim a violation of one of the most tested laws of physics ever. Without a way to replicate the 'experiments' in the videos, they are instantly suspect. Do you remember the supposed cold-fusion discovery some years back? It was big news... until the reported results couldn't be replicated. No one uses Pons & Fleischmann's 'result' as evidence for cold fusion any more -- because their results weren't reproducible. And that was with reporting the materials used, the temperatures used, all the equipment used, etc. How can you expect us to accept some grainy video, taken with some unknown camera, filming something unknown in the air, under unknown conditions, etc.?

I mean, there are just so many other possibilities that explain the 'evidence' that you cannot focus on any single one of them and declare it right. When there are many other viable explanations, more testing needs to be conducted to help determine which possibility the evidence best supports. And lastly, per my factitious example above, it is not up to the rest of us to 'debunk' your evidence. One does not just assume something is true until it can be proven false. (You never proved my invisible dinosaur false -- do you assume it is true? From your posts, I'm guessing not.) It is up to the people supporting an idea to present objective, clear, conclusive evidence to support their idea. It is up to the supports to bring a wealth of evidence before a claim is even given the possibility of being true.

Science is intentionally conservative this way. This way, no one's word alone is good enough, no matter what kind of authority they are. It used to be that the 'learned men' of a village could declare the world to be flat, the moon made of green cheese, and that dragons would eat little boys who misbehaved -- and they were believed without question. Science has rejected this model in favor of requiring clear, objective, statistically significant, conclusive evidence. I think we're better for it. And I'm going to reject you trying to pull us backward and accept your grainy, sketchy videos as evidence. Sorry, please try not to take it personally, because it really isn't personal. Again, it is all of science -- ALL science requires clear, objective, conclusive evidence.

garage_empty.jpg

Here is a photograph of the invisible dinosaur that lives in my garage, debunk it!

Scruffy is upset with you. He really wanted to know how you planned to debunk him.

You have a garage that amazingly tidy with an invisible dinosaur in it - AND you have the cheek to call him Scruffy!

You have a garage that amazingly tidy with an invisible dinosaur in it - AND you have the cheek to call him Scruffy!

Shhhhhhh, I also don't actually have a very big nose, either. But 'Reasonably Sized Average Nose' as a username didn't quite have the same ring to it.