Red Hat 3

Rakdos

i can download Red Hat 3 form their FTP site and i was wondering if it would work on an 88Mhz pentium Pro with a 6 gig hard drive and 16 meg of ram?

if so how easy is it for someone to has never used linux to use Red Hat.

Thanks

i can download Red Hat 3 form their FTP site and i was wondering if it would work on an 88Mhz pentium Pro with a 6 gig hard drive and 16 meg of ram?

if so how easy is it for someone to has never used linux to use Red Hat.

Thanks

Do you mean Red Hat 3 Enterprise? If so I think you shouldn't have problems with it in text only mode. If you want to use X Server (the GUI and stuff) I don't think your system fits the requirements. You should really upgrade! My computer runs at 2.20ghz and I have 1Gb of ram!

it may not work on older spec computers, not much you can do about that... you need to upgrade!

Linux can work on older computers fine. I assumed that this was an older computer due to the bad specs it has. How much onboard RAM does your video card have? I suggest you get some more RAM. At least get 256mb if you are going to use this machine often.

oh sorry, i just re-read the original post... i thought he was saying that it didnt work.... he was actually saying would it work?

i'd say yes sure it will.... it would be adviseable to upgrade your computer for smoother running but then that is only a luxury! and not really an essential.

the manufacturers website should give recommended spec for smooth running of it.

I dont know how to burn the ISO to a cd

sorry, which ISO where of what onto which CD on which computer?

like an .ISO is a CD image... do you mean the red hat ISO? well what you do is go to a computer which has a CD writter and burn it to a disk.

if you dont have a CD writter on your computer (the one connected to the internet) then you cant do it... you either buy a new one, take one out from inside another computer which does have one or you go to a different computer an download the ISO there.

or are you asking me how to burn a CD?

the computer is an old gateway 3000 that i got for free and if i cant get linux on it i'll overclock it and I dont know how to burn the ISO to a cd

Are you on Windows? I assume you are. Download the ISO Recorder Power Toy http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm for Windows xp. Once you have installed it just right click on the iso image and hit copy to cd. :)

i copied the contents of cd to the computer and i remaned the install_ file to install.exe and it said it wasnt a valid win32 application but i read the readme it is said i was for upgrade on exisiting linux systems only so im SOL thank for everyones help

i copied the contents of cd to the computer and i remaned the install_ file to install.exe and it said it wasnt a valid win32 application but i read the readme it is said i was for upgrade on exisiting linux systems only so im SOL thank for everyones help

I don't understand what you are saying. Linux is a totally diffrent operating system then Windows. You can't run executable files from Linux on Windows! The disk you need to boot up. So reboot the computer and follow the installer guide to install LInux.