Power sets

Prometheus

Just started to learn a bit of set theory, and was hoping someone could aid my understanding of power sets.

As i understand it a power set is the set of all subsets within a given set.

This includes the null set - easy enough. It also includes each of the elements within the set. Isn't this saying that each element of a set is also a subset of the set?

It then includes the set of all elements. Since all the elements are the set, isn't this saying that set A is a subset of itself?

Hopefully i'm just confusing an element with a subset, but any help is appreciated.

P.S.

And am i right in thinking there can be no subsets of the power set, only elements?

Edited by Prometheus

• 2 months later...

It then includes the set of all elements. Since all the elements are the set, isn't this saying that set A is a subset of itself?

The set A is a subset of the Power Set A. It is also an element of the Power Set A.

There is a distinction. In the example I gave, S={a,b,c} is an element of the power set of S. {S} = {{a,b,c}} is a subset of the power set.