Help with entanglment and other things...

-Django-

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here. I'm a writer/film maker doing some research for a story and I thought that this might be a good place to start.

I was thinking about a story where entanglement is done on a macroscopic level. I know that this isn't very probable (or maybe even impossible) but for the sake of fiction, please bear with me.

I was wondering a couple of things. Can two particles in a system be entangled? Without being entangled to the rest? And if so, is there some sort of mechanism, either theoretical or observed, that could lead to a cascade where all of the particles become entangled?

I was reading about an experiment where two pieces of diamond had become entangled. Say two identical machines or even people became entangled would a change in one affect the other in the same manor? or does it work opposite? If one person got injured would other instantaneously receive the same injury?

I think that this topic has potential for a great story but I do want to have some basis in fact (even if it's stretched just a little).

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I was also tinkering with idea that two particles can exist in two places simultaneously. If there any theoretical model where these properties can be brought into the macroscopic world?

Thanks

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here. I'm a writer/film maker doing some research for a story and I thought that this might be a good place to start.

I was thinking about a story where entanglement is done on a macroscopic level. I know that this isn't very probable (or maybe even impossible) but for the sake of fiction, please bear with me.

I was wondering a couple of things. Can two particles in a system be entangled? Without being entangled to the rest? And if so, is there some sort of mechanism, either theoretical or observed, that could lead to a cascade where all of the particles become entangled?

I was reading about an experiment where two pieces of diamond had become entangled. Say two identical machines or even people became entangled would a change in one affect the other in the same manor? or does it work opposite? If one person got injured would other instantaneously receive the same injury?

I think that this topic has potential for a great story but I do want to have some basis in fact (even if it's stretched just a little).

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I was also tinkering with idea that two particles can exist in two places simultaneously. If there any theoretical model where these properties can be brought into the macroscopic world?

Thanks

The standard blurb you read in many science stories, where they say that doing something to one particle instantly causes changes in the other, is WRONG.

In entanglement, you don't know the state of the particles in the system. Measuring the state of one particle instantly determines the state of the other, sort of the way that when flipping a coin, seeing which side is up instantly tells you what side is down. However, once the measurement has been made, the particles are no longer entangled.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking that this might be an analogy for entanglement using the flipping of a fair coin.

The outcome after each flip of the coin will be either heads or tails. If you flip the coin a number of times and keep a count of the number of times the outcome is heads and the number of times the outcome is tails, the expected or expectation value will be equal numbers of tails and heads.

The difference between the number of head outcomes and tail outcomes should be # Heads - # Tails = 0. The actual number of head outcomes and tail outcomes at any given number of flips may not be the same. You could look at the outcome or state of the coin (head or tail) as being entangled in the sense that each flip you make is random and could be either a head or a tail, but the running total of head outcomes and tail outcomes are tending toward being an equal number. The outcome of each flip, heads or tails is totally random on an individual flipped bases. But, even though each flip of the coin is totally random, there is an underlying connection or entanglement between the outcomes.

I hope this makes sense and give offers some insight.

Well actually, everything in the universe is entangled :)

It is just some particles are more entangled to eachother than others

Whenver two particles interract with eachother, they become entangled to some degree.

The interference a particle will encounter in the future is intertwined with the interference its entangled counterpart is encountering in the present.