Should I start a blog?

Mr Rayon

Hi guys,

What are the benefits of having a blog?

To those who have blogs, why did you feel the need to make one?

How does it benefit you from making one?

What do you use your blog for?

In real life I sorta have trouble being honest to people and expressing myself.

Could starting a blog help in anyway?

Mine contains a mix of news items, links to things I find interesting (usually to do with maths, physics or education) and some self-promotion. My research work does feature on the blog.

In real life I sorta have trouble being honest to people and expressing myself.

I try to keep my blog free of anything too personal. Remember the whole world can read it, including your boss, potential employers and your peers. It you would not talk to a random stranger on the street about it, then it should not be on your blog.

The regular forum is for discussion, so if you have something to present that you're really not interested in discussing (actually replying to questions, engaging in digital conversations, learning from the perspectives of others, that sort of thing) then a blog may be best. People will still comment but your response is not expected the way it is in a discussion forum.

I try to keep my blog free of anything too personal. Remember the whole world can read it, including your boss, potential employers and your peers. It you would not talk to a random stranger on the street about it, then it should not be on your blog.

What sort of things would you not tell a stranger?

I mean, I'm not sure how it is like in other countries but in Australia we're all fairly open and honest to strangers.

I regularly engage in small talk with strangers in the public transport but I feel as though I'm not open enough.

I try not too lie when people ask me tough questions or give ambiguous responses.

What sort of things would you not tell a stranger?

Anything too personal, or any points of view that may be seen as extreme or may course offence. I try to keep my blog rather professional and don't use it to push my own opinions too much.

I mean, I'm not sure how it is like in other countries but in Australia we're all fairly open and honest to strangers.

I would say that is generally the case here in the UK, but there are things I would not talk about with a stranger. Finding specific examples is difficult as that would violate what I am saying!

I regularly engage in small talk with strangers in the public transport but I feel as though I'm not open enough.

I try not too lie when people ask me tough questions or give ambiguous responses.

I guess the biggest difference is how much information you put on your blog in the first place. I do not hide who I am on my blog and allow the general public to view it as well as my peers and potential employers. A random stranger on the street is unlikely to be able to make much impact on my life, so what I say to them could in fact be of little consequence. However, my name and the statements are directly correlated if I post them on my blog, in full view of everyone.

All I am saying, is that one should in general take a little care what you say, just in case.

Anything too personal, or any points of view that may be seen as extreme or may course offence. I try to keep my blog rather professional and don't use it to push my own opinions too much.

I guess I could use a pseudonym of some sorts to protect my identity. The blog would be for my own benefit, really to organize my thoughts and keep a check on how they change with time.

If I can also be open/honest without being offensive/hurtful to any peoples I might send links to it from my facebook.

I'm also seeking for people to understand me. There are many things in my mind which may be easier to express when written/typed than from saying by opening my mouth.