Smell ~ Explained

• 2 weeks later...
!

Moderator Note

Moved from General Philosophy to Evolution, Morphology and Exobiology

It's true that feces contains bacteria that could be deadly to us if ingested, and that is probably why we have evolved to be sensitive to the smell produced by 3-methylindole, the smelly bit in the feces. It's also true that 3-methylindole is used, in very low concentrations, in perfume and even ice cream.

The "smells bad" aspect is also partly cultural. Some cultures have a more vivid reaction to strong odors than others. Moldy cheese is a delicacy to some, an abomination to others.

Let me also say, as a member for now and not as staff, that I found your video offensive. Not in its topic, but in its execution and your choice of words. This is a discussion forum, and videos are used mainly as a basis for information, not as a way to communicate your thoughts. I hope you're not going to simply post more videos on your thoughts to drive up you-tube hits, rather than discuss science with the rest of us in a meaningful way.

Just sayin'.